Strange extra cylinder when using support on extruder 2?

Posted (edited) · Strange extra cylinder when using support on extruder 2?

So as the title suggests i am an anomaly with our companies ultimaker s5, it seems that whenever i print with breakaway material on extruder 2 i have this issue. It prints this weird cylinder, and despite it looking like its just a piece of support it actually prints filament from extruder 1 around it too. It only happens on our companies S5 whereas my Ender 3 pro has no issues printing support material so i know i don't have any issues with my STLs.

I don't know if its intentional, like a way of making sure the filament is extruded all the way out the nozzle? or its a bug in CURA. Its more than a nuisance though because it limits how many things i can stuff onto the build plate.

Also, as a side note. has anyone printed nylon with an s5 and has any tuning suggestions?

1975222277_UMS5_allthethings-UltimakerCura8_14_20216_20_02PM.thumb.png.e5d4616d5522dbfa5ce95f7242f613e6.png

Edited by TitanNikola

Posted · Strange extra cylinder when using support on extruder 2?

It's called a "tower".  You can disable it but I don't recommend it.  Well it depends how pretty you want your part to be.  If you disable the tower the quality of the part will be worse.  The inactive nozzle always leaks a little and there is like a tiny sausage hanging from it.  When that nozzle is once again active, it will stick/glue that tiny sausage onto your print somewhere.  The tower prevents this.

You can also control the location of the tower.  Just search for "tower" in the cura settings to see all your options.

• Like 1