Cura Support for Creality CR200B

FRabe

Posted · Cura Support for Creality CR200B

I use both Ultimaker and Creality printers at my workplace, and have an Ender V2 for home use but I recently bought a CR200B for home use as well. Will a future update of Cura include this printer? It has a 200x200x200 build volume. Is there a way for me to make a custom printer within Cura to accommodate for this in the meantime?

Thanks,

Frank

5 hours ago, FRabe said:

Will a future update of Cura include this printer?

Only if someone submits a profile for it. Ultimaker does not create third party printer profiles, but will accept "pull requests" from community members or printer manufacturers who have written a working printer profile for their printer(s).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FRabe said:

Is there a way for me to make a custom printer within Cura to accommodate for this in the meantime?

You could use the "Custom FFF Printer" option.

As AHoeben says you can add a Custom FFF printer.  An option would be to add a different Creality printer and change the build size in the Machine Settings.

Creality printers use their own firmware that is a version of Marlin.  Most other settings (accel, jerk, max feedrates, etc) are common throughout their line of printers.  If the 200B has auto bed leveling it would need to be accounted for in the StartUp G-Code.

If you were to add an Ender 3 and rename it, and then change the build size to 200x200x200 you should have a workable starting place.  You can always add a Custom FFF as an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregValiant said:

add an Ender 3 and rename it, and then change the build size to 200x200x200

Doesn't the Ender 3 have "unprintable areas" to compensate for the bed clips? The unprintable areas don't scale when you edit the buildplate dimensions, so they would end up somewhere in the "middle" of the buildplate if you increase the buildvolume. From my memory, it would be better to use the Ender 3 Pro instead, because it does not have the same unprintable areas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GregValiant said:

If you were to add an Ender 3 and rename it, and then change the build size to 200x200x200 you should have a workable starting place.

This is what I ended up going with after a bit more searching

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

Doesn't the Ender 3 have "unprintable areas" to compensate for the bed clips?

Yes, but the CR200B has some overlap and I don't mind losing 10mm per side for the time being.

I believe that the Ender3 renamed and new dimensions seems to be the route most people go. Seems like a fine trade off for the time being.

Thanks to all that responded. I wonder if anyone is working on the CR200B profile somewhere. Might be a project for myself.

I forgot about the clip area for the glass.  The Ender 3 Pro is the same definition but does not have the clip area.  Come to think of it...I don't think it matters since the clip area is hard coded into the definition and those areas are outside your 200 x 200 build plate.

Hello form Germany,

I try to use cura with my new CR-200B as well, but every time I want to print a part sliced with cura

the extruder gears are spinning very fast. (it seems like cura assume a gear ratio of 3:1)

I was following the known procedure to integrate the machine in cura like mentioned above
    choose ender 3 and change build plate. 

The Printer is working without any issues if I am slicing with prusa slicer for example.

can someone give a hint?

many thanks!

Post a gcode file you sliced with PrusaSlicer and a gcode that you sliced with Cura.  Right now I'm thinking something isn't right in your StartUp Gcode in Cura.  Comparing the files should tell.

Hello,

both files attached!

Kind regards

CURAtestCR200b.gcode PRUSAtestCR200b.gcode

Posted (edited) · Cura Support for Creality CR200B

Your Cura Startup Gcode is kind of a mish-mash that looks like it was copied and pasted together.

You can see that the M83 line is setting the extruder to "Relative" mode but all the following Gcode extrusion commands are in "Absolute" mode.  That causes the extruder to go bonkers (technical term).

So with your CR200 active in Cura - go to Manage Printers / Machine Settings and in the Startup Gcode box change the M83 line to:

M82 ;absolute extrusion mode

(If you happen to slice something in "Relative" extrusion mode then Cura will add an M83 line AFTER the StartUp Gcode.)

; CR-200B Custom Start G-code

M413 S0 ; disable power-loss function
    M206 X-20 Y-20 ; set Home offset
    M851 X4 Y25 ; Probe offset
    M221 S95 ;Set flowrate to 95 percent
    M500 ; save settings

G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
    G28 ; Home all axes

G90 ; use absolute coordinates
    M83 ; extruder relative mode .....Change this line to M82
    M140 S60 ;Start heating bed
    M104 S150 ; set temporary nozzle temp to prevent oozing during homing
    G4 S10 ; allow partial nozzle warmup

G29 ; Autolvl

M190 S60 ;Wait for bed to reach temp before proceeding
    M104 S200 ;Start heating extruder
    G1 X0 Y 50 ; go to prepare position
    M109 S200 ;Wait for extruder to reach temp before proceeding

G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
    G1 X0.1 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to start position
    G1 X0.1 Y150.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E15 ; Draw the first line
    G1 X0.4 Y150.0 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little
    G1 X0.4 Y20 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line

G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
    G1 X5 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move over to prevent blob squish

Edited by GregValiant
    • Thanks 1

Many thanks to you Greg,

now its working!

Yes - the start code is mixed together from cura+prusa+creality.

I was testing different start sequences to find the best for me, never thought the M83 could be an issue because
    it was copied from the stock CR-200B profile in PrusaSlicer.

The CR-200B ist now set-up with Cura 5 and the "Ultimaker2" preset (also a note out of this forum)
    looks very promising!

Kind Regards

It's good it's working.  Your StartUp Gcode can be slimmed down quite a bit.  For instance - Every print you tell the printer what the Home Offset is, and what the Probe Offset is and to disable the power loss function.  After telling the printer those things you save the settings with M500.  The printer won't forget between prints.

Speaking of Home Offsets - are your prints centered on your build plate?

Another line is the M221 line.  You are telling the printer that every print should be run at 95% flow rate.  The printer doesn't remember that one and if you actually want every print run at 95% flow then that is fine.  But why not just calibrate the E-Steps?  If your prints are better at 95% I would change the steps/mm to reflect that.  That way you can get rid of that line and you base line flow is back to 100%.

There are no Cura Keywords to adjust the print speed in mm/minute which is what the printer wants to see.  As a consequence, if you try to print TPU with your current printer and StartUp Gcode you will have problems because of the print speed of the purge lines.  Better to install another CR200 in Cura and adjust the purge line speeds so they match the material you are printing.  I have separate Ender 3 Pro's for PLA, PETG, and TPU.  I only own the one printer, but within Cura the 3 definitions and their different StartUp Gcodes are optimized for the different materials.

Hello,

I think is worth to summerize the issues with CR200b a bit here because may someone else encounter similar problems.

In this state of "use" the printer needs to be calibrated, especially the skewness correction needs to be done.
    It arrives with an LH;RH axis offset of ~1,2mm.

The CR-200B has an issue with the power loss function , on each layer change it will store the status (in vase mode
    this will happen continuesly) thats why I disable it.

I add the 95% flow because I thought it could solve the extruder issue I had yesterday, it will be removed from start-code.

I write down every thing into the start g-code because I am not sure how to enter the console with cable connection...
    Should I use Pronterface or is Cura also able to do so?

Kind Regards

Cura can send one line at a time to the printer and Cura does not provide a way to view the responses from the printer.  Pronterface is a much better console to send and receive from.

I just looked at your Ending Gcode.  Cura does not accept logic statements in Start or End gcodes.  The section below is ignored by the printer #1 because it gets passed on as written (instead of the math being performed as it would be in PrusaSlicer) and #2 because some of the "keywords" aren't legal in Cura (the Cura list of Keywords is HERE).

{if max_layer_z < max_print_height}G1 Z{z_offset+min(max_layer_z+2} F600{endif} ; Move print bed down
    G1 X50 Y50 F{travel_speed*60} ; move print head out of the way
    {if max_layer_z < max_print_height-10}G1 Z{z_offset+max_print_height-10} F600{endif} ; Move print bed close to the bottom.

Install another printer in Cura and set it up just like your current printer.  Paste these Start and End gcode snippets into the Machine Settings dialog of the new printer.  Scale a calibration cube in the Z only so it is 25x25x1mm tall.  Slice and print and see how it goes.

;
    ; PLA StartUp
    ;
    M220 S100 ;Reset Feed rate
    M221 S100 ;Reset Flow rate

M82 ;Absolute Extrusion
    G90 ;Absolute Movement
    M21 ;Metric units
    G92 E0 ; Reset E
    M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Start to heat the bed
    M109 S150 ;Warm up the hot end and wait
    M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;wait for the bed temp just in case

G28 ; Home XYZ axes
    G29 ;AutoLevel
    G0 Z10 F2700 ;Move up
    G0 X0 Y0 F6000 ;Move the nozzle to the corner for oozing
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Heat up the hot end to Initial Layer Print Temp and wait.

G0 X1.0 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to purge start
    G1 X1.0 Y{machine_depth} Z0.3 F3000.0 E12 ; First purge line at 50mm/sec
    G0 X3.0 Y{machine_depth} Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move over 2mm
    G1 X3.0 Y20 Z0.3 F3000.0 E24 ; Second purge line at 50mm/sec
    G0 E22 F1800 ;Retract 2mm
    G0 Z10 F1800 ;Move Z up
    G1 X20 Y35 Z10 F5000.0 ; Move away from the purge line
    G92 E0
    ;
    ;End of StartUp
    ;

;
    ; End Gcode
    ;
    G91 ;Relative positioning
    G1 E-2 F2700 ;Retract a bit
    G1 E-2 Z0.2 F2400 ;Retract and raise Z
    G0 X5 Y5 F3000 ;Wipe out
    G0 Z10 ;Raise Z more
    G90 ;Absolute positioning
    M220 S100
    M221 S100
    G0 X0 Y{machine_depth} ;Present print
    M106 S0 ;Turn-off fan
    M104 S0 ;Turn-off hotend
    M140 S0 ;Turn-off bed
    M84 X Y E ;Disable all steppers but Z
    M118 END OF GCODE
    ;
    ;The End
    ;

Hello,

first of all, many thanks again for your help!

I am going to use the following codes for now:

;CR-200B Custom Start G-code

M206 X-5 Y-5 ; set Home offset

M500 ; save settings

M220 S100 ;Reset Feed rate

M221 S100 ;Reset Flow rate

M82 ;Absolute Extrusion

G90 ;Absolute Movement

M21 ;Metric units

G92 E0 ; Reset E

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Start to heat the bed

M109 S150 ;Warm up the hot end and wait

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;wait for the bed temp just in case

G28 ; Home XYZ axes

G29 ;AutoLevel

G0 Z10 F2700 ;Move up

G0 X0 Y0 F6000 ;Move the nozzle to the corner for oozing

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Heat up the hot end to Initial Layer Print Temp and wait.

G1 X0.1 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to start position

G1 X0.1 Y150.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E15 ; Draw the first line

G1 X0.4 Y150.0 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little

G1 X0.4 Y20 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line

G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder

G1 X5 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move over to prevent blob squish

G92 E0

;End

;CR-200B Custom Ende G-code

G91 ;Relative positioning

G1 E-2 F2700 ;Retract a bit

G1 E-2 Z0.2 F2400 ;Retract and raise Z

G1 X5 Y5 F3000 ;Wipe out

G0 Z10 ;Raise Z more

G90 ;Absolute positioning

M220 S100

M221 S100

G0 X0 Y{machine_depth} ;Present print

M106 S0 ;Turn-off fan

M104 S0 ;Turn-off hotend

M140 S0 ;Turn-off bed

M84 X Y E ;Disable all steppers but Z

M118 END OF GCODE

;End

BTW: As far as I learned, Marlin can only handle "G1" if there is "G0"  it will do G1 instead.

Comments on suggested Start-code

-the 50mm/s for the purge line is a bit to fast for me
    -the X offset for purge line collides with the skirt if I scale it up to max build volume (200mm X 200mm)

the glass plate is x=220 y=240 , the X 0.1 works better here 

- I commanded the following lines out to see if  the printer remembers,

M206 X-5 Y-5 ; set Home offset

M500 ; save settings

The Printer does not remember so it is again part of Start G-code.
    (I know that he should remember and after M115/M503 he plottet the correct values for home offset etc.
    but did not take care during startup.)

The last Issue that remains is the Skewness of the mechanic, I try to mechanically line up everything
    with belt tension etc. but it seems that there is alwayes 0.5mm skewness left that needs to be compensate
    by Marlin.

Due to the Creality Firmware M852 seems not working, so how  can I have access to do my skew corrections?

Kind Regards

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-25 at 17.21.49.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Morgan0815 said:

TW: As far as I learned, Marlin can only handle "G1" if there is "G0"  it will do G1 instead.

A not-quite-a-standard is that G0 is for travel moves and G1 is for extrusion moves.  In any gcode you will see things like this:

G0 F9000 X82.631 Y115.295...................Travel
    G1 F4500 X82.634 Y114.441 E6.7433....Extrude

Your new start and end gcodes look good.

Regarding the skew -

Are the actual extrusions laid down in the X and Y at 90° to each other and a print just appears rotated on the bed or are they at some other angle to each other?  You have checked the belts but it's possible that there is some adjustment available in the frame.

Is the Z rising perpendicular or is it also introducing an angle other than 90°?  (vertical skew).

I noticed that a part I printed yesterday was not 90° angle in X/Y, after some deeper look at the machanics
    there was a little misalignment in the top area of the printer caused by different belt tension.

Relative to the pricetag the CR-200b came along with unexpectedly high quality parts but it is hard to align them correctly
    since this type of mechanic is acting together with everything around.
    Overall there is not much to play with, neither belt tensioner(very small), nor mechanical "adjustment screws" for example.

For now I want to trim out the X/Y misalignment, thats the only skewness i noticed a lot alot.
    My plan is to send the M852 Sxxxx to the printer and thats it.(if it works with creality Firmware??)

If the YACS ist redey I will take mesure  and calculate the values.

Never assume that just because it came assembled from the Creality factory that it was assembled correctly.

My Y axis was running up and down hill and was off be about 2° around the Z.  By definition that was Skewed.  After loosening the parts and aligning them correctly it is fine now.

Hello everyone!

I was looking for better gcodes for the CR 200B to use in cura and I was lucky to find this topic of yours.

Reading Morgan's modified gcodes I found that he uses the G29 instruction for autoleveling, but the CR 200B printer doesn't actually have an autoleveling system.

Maybe the G29 instruction fulfills another task that I don't know about and that must be there for something.

I don't have much experience in this, maybe you guys have the answer I'm looking for.

Thank you all

The G29 is the Auto-Level command on a lot of ABL equipped printers (M420 is used by some printers).  You can delete the line or put a semi-colon in front and it will become a comment instead of a command like   ;G29 

The StartUp Gcode prepares the printer for what is to come when the real print starts.  The Ending Gcode shuts down the printer and if you want, it can slide the bed forward so you can remove the print easier.

The standard Creality StartUp and Ending Gcodes should work fine.  If you like the purge lines then leave them in else you can comment them out with a semi-colon.

Bring in a calibration cube or benchy, set Cura up to slice, and then use the "File | Save Project" command.  Post the 3mf file here and I'll take a look.

Being familiar with the common G and M commands can help you to understand why the printer does some of the things it does.  The MARLINFW.ORG site has a full listing.  Not all of them will be supported by your firmware.  You don't have to memorize them but knowing what G0, G1, M104, M106 and other standard ones do for the printer is helpful.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, GregValiant.

Here is the 3mf file of the calibration cube, sliced with Cura, with the settings I have been using.

I prefer to use Cura for slicing, for some reason with the Creality slicer I don't have the same results. That's why I'm looking to set up a profile of my Cr 200B on the Cura slicer.

CFFFP_xyzCalibration_cube.3mf

I've set up the project file with what I think you want.  The printer is set to your 200 x 200 x 200.  The StartUp Gcode has purge lines in it.  The Ending Gcode is mostly the stock Creality ending.

You will also get one of my profiles.  It's a fast one and you can remove it if you want.

GV_xyzCalibration_cube.3mf

• Like 1

Great, I'm going to try those StartUp and End Gcodes, and the print settings as well.
    Thank you very much for your time, GregValiant