What could cause these patterns in the print? Using eSun PLA+

Posted · What could cause these patterns in the print? Using eSun PLA+

I have an UM3. When using UM PLA with the default Cura profile I get pretty good results, the layers look pretty neat. I've tried using eSun PLA+, which seems many people like. I've printed a temp. tower & retraction tower and went with the best settings, however I am getting these strange patterns on the print.

I've tried temp. from 210 all the way down to 198 deg. C and the pattern looks about the same. Any suggestions?

235764165_6723147491044649_264770213543615612_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@monomonster, this looks like the 3d printing defect known as ringing. It is generally caused by vibrations that come from the moving components of a printer. Belts that are too loose are a common cause. Does this happen on both the X and Y oriented faces, or just one or the other? A high print speed can also cause this to happen more often, since direction changes become more harsh.

I print a couple of eSun PLA+ spools per week on S5 pro bundles, and have had very good results, although I am printing functional parts where dimensional accuracy is the primary focus, not looks. I typically print at 215C because I am in need of fast print times (typically 70-90mm/s), and I do see some ringing in my prints due to high speed.

If I were going for looks I would probably set the speed at 50mm/s with outer wall speed set to 25-30 mm/s. This can feel quite slow if you are used to printing at higher speeds, but should be worth the wait when it comes to x/y surface quality.

What if you try a slightly different speed? Could this be vibrations (e.g. from the steppers or the belt-teeth) that are fed through to the print-head, combined with resonance?