Print shifting at the same height

hubbs

Posted · Print shifting at the same height

I've had a continual issue at essentially the same height of all of my prints where it makes a lateral shift and the prints are useless thereafter. The more I do the worse the deviation gets with each print. the deivation is seen more easily in the support structure but it's also clearly visible on the actual print. Firware is the latest and updated. Any advice?

C4633080-F392-45DE-A68C-9C3AB5F2CAEF.JPG.a6c0aaa26fc82cf0c948730370210766.JPG2877AAD5-2567-4577-A4B4-2CF5A5184B3E.JPG.25e3008338da46bafddcb34a9a1798cb.JPGIMG_4504.thumb.jpg.640eea01059fe6ae7fd0a16550583fa0.jpgIMG_4505.jpg.46d3d6ab59d2ef80e809d49ca8572557.jpg

Posted (edited) · Print shifting at the same height

Have you tried various / different positions on the glass / base plate? Does it still do the same?

Some helpful info already in the forum, here's a recent post:

Edited by Carbon

Thanks for that. Yeah it happens regardless of location and I've even tried to elevate the test prints by adding a 15mm extrusion to the base but it the error occurred at two points for the first time (7mm and 43mm). Totally lost...

Hi @hubbs, thank you for your post. So does it always happen at the same height or not? I'm not sure since you say "..but it the error occurred at two points for the first time..'

I find it a little bit difficult to put your black close up pictures in perspective. Like what or from what angle am I looking at the print? 

Is it always into the same direction, X or Y? 

Have you ever stuck around to see what it physically does at that point, to create the off set? If anything would be detectable. 

Thanks,

Hi @SandervG,

So the shift occurred at the same height (approx 12mm) on the first 5 or so prints and by my eyes it's shifting in the X axis. It obviously affects the physical print itself but the line of the defect is most easily visible on the support structure. As for sticking around, the defect must occur around the 8 hour mark and I haven't babysat it.

View from behind:

1.jpg.14416055c7a348849271facd7feb17c8.jpg

View from the back & side:

5.jpg.cffb1a953562eabe69a9692254499b44.jpg

Viewing the actual print from above:

3.thumb.jpg.9edc7fdd15fa42707c195302ee6f7f28.jpg

I did a firmware update, checked for play on both the axes and the motor units (there is none that I can see) and did a test print of a smaller object that was still 4cm high and wide (with significant support structure). I babysat this print and it did not have any issues so I tried printing again the piece that failed previously and this was the one that had the failures at two heights. The first shift occurred at 7mm high and the second shift occurred at 43mm. 

I´'m using a third party carbon fibre filled filament and the 0.6 nozzle. Not sure if this changes anything but I've also just downloaded Cura 4.11.0 and doing another test currently with Ultimaker Tough PLA instead to see if there are any changes.

Thanks 

Is this only with this print, or with all prints? What does a small test tower of the same height do? And is it visible in the slicer, in layer-view mode? If printing from SD-card, also try a new card. Maybe in this way you could filter out whether it is a printer issue (hardware, firmware,...), a card issue (corrupt SD-card,...), or a slicer issue (bug, defect in model,...)?

Hi @hubbs, thank you for your message. So if I understand it correctly the offset occurred on 5 different prints but the same model all at around 12mm, and on a different model at 7mm and 43mm? If it were at random places I could suspect an end stop cable being worn down from a pulley or that it might be pinched somewhere, but if it is consistent at different heights at different prints, that wouldn't make sense then. So if you can confirm or deny the above that would be helpful. It is crucial to have a good understanding of the frequency and repeatability of the offset.

I can't imagine a third party filament or print core being a factor in this offset. 

Another idea: Are you sure your glass plate is properly secured and its not the glass plate that is shifting around? 

@SandervG Yes it happened on 5 different pieces at the same height so yes, it's unlikely to be a pulley issue. All were printed with the 0.6 head and a carbon fibre filled nylon. And the glass plate was definitely secure.

I did another firmware update, switched the print heads to a 0.4 and did a test using the Tough PLA. This was successful and without any faults. Therefore I'm thinkning that there could have been an issue with either the filament, print head or both. I then had a timely update with Cura 4.11.0 and I've since printed without issues. Fingers crossed it continues but because I don't know the cause (fault with Cura 4.10.0 maybe??) if/when it does happen again, I prob won't know how to fix it. 

Hi @hubbs, thank you for your post. Interesting, I will share the resolution back with the product experts, but since we won't have any logs it might be difficult to isolate the cause. But it would be good to be aware of the issue for the archives and possibly identify if it is an incidental or more wide spread issue (yours is the only one I heard about). 

Happy to hear the firmware update managed to resolve it, let's hope it stays that way. If you ever run into any (other) issues again, the community and our product experts are here to help you get back to 3D printing as soon as possible! Have a great day!