Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  

UM1 cura 14.01 MASSIVE retraction

so literally 5 mins ago was sitting in my room as my UM1 prited, then suddenly it started making a really odd noise, i turn round, and the extrusion motor is running backwards, an awful lot

it must have retracted 200mm - 300mm, however all seems to be good now. it would have been on layer 11 of 549, so it was very early on. there hasn't appeared to be any problems, no under-extrusion and no blob where it restarted printing.

strange, very very strange.

What program are you using to slice/print? If Cura, then after you load the model and slice it, you can right click on the 'print' button I think to get a 'save gcode option'. Or jsut unplug the printer from the computer, so you get a save option instead.

It would be a good idea to save the gcode that you're creating rather than just discarding it; that way you can go back to an earlier print and re-print it, or see what the settings were, etc.

I have a notebook I keep under the bed with notes on every print and I also save all the gcode files in a particular location so I can look at the settings I used for a print months or years later. It has been very helpful many times for things I thought I would never forget... but did.