Problem with ironing

ChaseFamous

Posted · Problem with ironing

Hello all,

I am still new to printing and have tried a few different models, after printing a dice I made while using ironing I noticed that the top of it actually didn't turn out smoother than it was before. I thought this might be because of the "holes" that are on the top so I decided to print a simple flat square surface to see if ironing does work.

I tried printing this 3 times with a few tweaks every single time, but I get a weird blob where the ironing starts. I suspect a few things might be happening but I would like some insight.
The issues I think I might have:

• Extruder temperature too high
  • Nozzle possibly too close to the bed
  • Too much ironing flow

I am printing on an Ultimaker S3, will add the curaproject as an attachment.
The Dice I was talking about (with ironing on):
The Dice I was talking about (with ironing on):

Without ironing on:

Dice without Ironing

The squares with ironing on:
First one (default settings with some speed, acceleration and jerk decreased and ironing on)

First square

The second one, thinner so I could print it faster. I tried reducing the Ironing flow to 8% to see if it made a difference.

Second one printed (thinner because it would take less time)

The third one (which is also the curaproject.3mf in the attachment), I turned on nozzle retraction at layer change as well and changed some other settings.

The final one I've tried

I hope someone can help me pinpoint the problem I'm having.

UMS3_Ironing test.3mf

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted · Problem with ironing

@ChaseFamous - when you lowered acceleration and jerk the bump in the corner got worse.  That is exactly what I would expect.  What happens is with the lower acceleration it takes longer to slow down and speed up going around the corner and so the higher pressure in the nozzle at that time means it over extrudes.  Better to crank up acceleration and jerk and only lower speed: if the speed never slows down on the corner then the pressure in the nozzle is always constant and you don't get overextrusion in corners.

However I would expect at least 3 of the corners to have that bump if it was an acceleration issue.  Instead it's probably taking too long to change layers (which usually happens on an "infill" layer).  Make sure "retract at layer change" is disabled as this can cause more delays where filament is coming out of the nozzle.  Also make sure your Z speed is as fast as possible for your printer.  Both in cura and in the firmware of the printer.

@mccleary39 - I don't think you are having the same problem as chaseFamous only has one blob in the corner.  Right?  maybe you should start a new thread or at least post a photo of your issue.

Both of you: ironing is a little tricky - neotko is the expert on this feature.  Read all of his posts on this thread: