Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle + Simplify3D

DLrocket89

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle + Simplify3D

Hi everyone,

I have some particular files at work that we've printed on other printers (UM2, UM3, UMS3).  We have them sliced in S3D so that they work...they are a part of a piece of camera-based automation, so things like the clarity, light transmittance, etc are very important.  We just acquired an UM S5 Pro Bundle.  I've tried a bunch of different test prints with Cura and Cura just isn't getting it done, so I'd like to try S3D on the UM S5.

How is S3D going to play with the Material Station in the Pro bundle?  Would it be best to just unplug the Material Station and print off of the spool holder on the back?

Thanks!

Dustin

S3D has a profile for the S5, actually they have them for all the ultimakers.  I've not tried it yet but am planning to, there are some features in S3D that are not in Cura that I used frequently.
    AFAIK, the material handlers don't pay any attention to the sliced file so if that's true, no problemo.

I first tried Cura back in 2014 when i first started using consumer-level printers... hated it.  started using a different open-source slicer until I discovered S3D.. awesome.  Used it exclusively until I got the UMS5 and had to go back to Cura.. still not comfortable with it.  I get it that Cura is in bed with Ultimaker now but would REALLY like to see it enhanced with some of S3D's useful features.

3 minutes ago, JTMD said:

S3D has a profile for the S5, actually they have them for all the ultimakers.  I've not tried it yet but am planning to, there are some features in S3D that are not in Cura that I used frequently.
    AFAIK, the material handlers don't pay any attention to the sliced file so if that's true, no problemo.

I first tried Cura back in 2014 when i first started using consumer-level printers... hated it.  started using a different open-source slicer until I discovered S3D.. awesome.  Used it exclusively until I got the UMS5 and had to go back to Cura.. still not comfortable with it.  I get it that Cura is in bed with Ultimaker now but would REALLY like to see it enhanced with some of S3D's useful features.

Thanks for the thoughts on the Material switcher...I'm not sure how it works, so maybe we'll just try it and see.

Same here (the useful features of S3D).

In case someone from UM / Cura is listening - my prints live and die with 2 S3D features: 1) visually add/remove supports, and 2) being able to change the process by height on the model.

• Like 1

Cura has these 2 features.  But they are different.  There is something called "support blocker".  It's on the left side of the screen.  You drop 3d shapes/meshes (by default it creates cubes but you can do any shape) and you can move them, scale them (separately in all 3 axes) and place them over areas that shouldn't get support.  This is confusing for some because you don't place it where the support is but where the surface is that needs support.  It's not as easy as "just clicking" to remove supports but it's pretty easy.

Cura and S3D went differently on being able to change slicing settings in certain areas.  S3D does it by height alone.  Cura is MUCH more adaptable as you can use any mesh.  Any shape.  And say "inside this shape change these settings" including things like infill density and about 100 other parameters.  The problem: Cura won't let you change layer height as you can do that easily at a given height (S3D) but you can't do that within a single layer (Cura).  This feature is also found on the left side of the screen or you can right click on a mesh and set it to be a "mesh modifier".

36 minutes ago, DLrocket89 said:

Support blocker I got, that works.  Can't find the mesh modifier though...don't know how to select a mesh if I'm honest.

Spoke too soon, adding it in the model but it's not actually blocking anything.  Still generating support where I don't want any.

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

...Cura has these 2 features....

..S3D does it by height alone...

oh contraire...

S3D allows mulitiple models each having totally different settings.  This one feature alone for me makes it still the top slicer.  I've solved MANY quirky behaviors of different materials by printing a dozen test parts each with a tweak to a print setting to see which one was the best..  HUGE time saver and very enlightening.  (have you noticed for any particular material, white prints slightly different from the other colors?)
    also, the ability to place and remove support allowing custom support configs is very valuable.

Ultimaker has done a fine job dialing cura in for ultimaker-branded filaments, but we cant all justify using undersized spools of pricey materials. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JTMD said:

Ultimaker has done a fine job dialing cura in for ultimaker-branded filaments, but we cant all justify using undersized spools of pricey materials. 

This too.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DLrocket89 said:

Thanks for the thoughts on the Material switcher...I'm not sure how it works, so maybe we'll just try it and see.

I had the whole Pro Bundle setup at work and it functions fine but it wasn't long before the printing I was doing was only using two filaments:  grey ABS and Breakaway support.  I had 4 stations loaded with ABS and two with Breakaway but really the only benefit for me was auto-change spools when one ran out...

When I retired I bought my own system I declined to buy the material station since I couldn't justify over 3K for just auto-change but I very soon (VERY soon) grew annoyed at the spool station on the back of the machine being hard to deal with and it not handling spools wider than the 750g Ultimaker products very well...
    So, I designed my own 2-spool material station, loads from the fron and handles the biggest 1Kg spools nicely.

My son designed a station for his UM3 and a replacement for the NFC system so it would see both spools regardless of orientation.  I've incorporated that in mine too.   He added a dehumidifier but since I live in an area with very low humidity most of the year I opted for a bag of desiccant for those times when it gets a little high.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JTMD said:

I had the whole Pro Bundle setup at work and it functions fine but it wasn't long before the printing I was doing was only using two filaments:  grey ABS and Breakaway support.  I had 4 stations loaded with ABS and two with Breakaway but really the only benefit for me was auto-change spools when one ran out...

When I retired I bought my own system I declined to buy the material station since I couldn't justify over 3K for just auto-change but I very soon (VERY soon) grew annoyed at the spool station on the back of the machine being hard to deal with and it not handling spools wider than the 750g Ultimaker products very well...
    So, I designed my own 2-spool material station, loads from the fron and handles the biggest 1Kg spools nicely.

My son designed a station for his UM3 and a replacement for the NFC system so it would see both spools regardless of orientation.  I've incorporated that in mine too.   He added a dehumidifier but since I live in an area with very low humidity most of the year I opted for a bag of desiccant for those times when it gets a little high.

Nice!!  I'm working on enclosing the mutant CR-10 I have at home...I live in Wisconsin, so half the year is super humid.

14 hours ago, JTMD said:

S3D allows mulitiple models each having totally different settings.

Cura can do this as well. It's called "Per object settings" : https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012031399-How-to-adjust-print-settings-per-model-in-Ultimaker-Cura

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle + Simplify3D
    2 hours ago, nallath said:

ya well, unfortunately the settings available in that mode is limited and doesn't include settings I need to vary.  For instance, nothing about rafts, print temp, etc...

Edited by JTMD

I use mesh modifier and support blocker occasionally and they work great for me.

Again - you are blocking the SURFACE of the model where the support touches.  Not the volume where the support will be printed.

There are fantastic videos on youtube for these features.  I recommend those videos over anything I could type out as text.

But try this for mesh modifier: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013370140-How-to-adjust-print-settings-of-a-part-of-my-model-in-Ultimaker-Cura

And for support blocker: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012869379-How-to-block-support-generation-in-Ultimaker-Cura

• Like 1