Should I be worried (UM2 rod sticking out - solved)

mark-hale

Posted · Should I be worried (UM2 rod sticking out - solved)

So far it doesn't appear to be an issue, but I have noticed that the bar, front left of the UM2 moves out while printing. It only sticks out about 1mm and is easy to push back which I do after the print is finished but wondered if I need to do anything more drastic to stop this. As yet it doesn't appear to move further each time so seems to reach a limit.

Your pulley is loose. Just take the allen keys that came with your UM2 and loosen all the pulleys attached to that rod, then push the rod all the way in. Then make sure the pulleys are pushed up against the black spacers, then tighten them back up.

On a second note, you might want to check the rest.

What Chrisp said. Only thing I would add is that it might be easier if you only loosen the pulley closest to where the rod pokes out, that way you have something solid on the other end to push against.

Yes, the only pulley that is necessarily loose is the one closest to where the rod sticks out. So push the rod all the way in, and then loosen that pulley more, and push it (and the spacer next to it) up against the bearing, and tighten it down hard.

Even screws that 'seem' to be tight in casual inspection can allow the pulley to gradually precess along the shaft. That can get to the point that the rod falls out of the bearing at the other end mid-print. Mine did. But once the pulley is repositioned, and tightened properly, it should work just fine.