Ultimaker 3 Extended: resetting while heating up cores... Problem with the board/PCB?

gmeardi

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 Extended: resetting while heating up cores... Problem with the board/PCB?

From yesterday I cannot print anymore on my UM3x: every time I start a new print (even - tried - some cloud prints that worked perfectly some months ago), while heating up the cores or - in some (latest) cases - during the subsequent auto levelling, the printer resets.

I've done a sample video of the behaviour (during heat up): 

Tried yesterday and today... 10 times, same behaviour.

The very last time it seemed to have managed to finish the auto levelling but... on the last check, it did reset.

My UM3 and Cura are up to date to the very latest versions (as of yesterday). To note, it's the first time I was printing after the latest UM3x firmware update (5.3.0, coming from 5.2.16).

I tried to keep the power adapter detached for 1 hour, to understand if there's a problem with the power brick. But no positive changes.

During the heat up I see the led lights "blinking a bit", as if there was some power problem.

I'm afraid there's something bad on electronics... How might I do?

I saved my UM3 log files on attached ZIP file.

Any ideas... really welcome!

UM3x_Logs-2021-11-14.zip

Edited by gmeardi

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Extended: resetting while heating up cores... Problem with the board/PCB?

Would a factory reset be a worth try?

What would I lose in resetting? only name + wifi connection? or even some data, such as the levels of NFC materials used?

• gmeardi changed the title to Ultimaker 3 Extended: resetting while heating up cores... Problem with the board/PCB?
    Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 Extended: resetting while heating up cores... Problem with the board/PCB?

I tried keeping the UM3x completely detached from the power outlet for 3 hours, and tried again: the print started but after 10 minutes of printing, the printer did reset again... with the nozzle stuck in the print (normal PETG print, with related standard temperatures).

I tried again keeping the UM3x detached from a whole night (10+hrs) and the same print did complete successfully.

Nonetheless... I'm quite afraid something is going bad for my printer...

No ideas whatsoever from our super community?

Any ideas about what more to check, so to best diagnose / address the issue?

Many thanks!

Edited by gmeardi

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Extended: resetting while heating up cores... Problem with the board/PCB?

The printer rebooting is a very rare error. All unhandled software errors result in the printer hanging, not rebooting.

Also, many other people use your same 5.3.0 firmware version, which makes me think it's not a software but a hardware problem.

The printer heating up the build plate stresses the power supply to its maximum capacity and I suspect the problem is there. Do you have by any chance access to another identical power supply? For example from another UM3  or UM2(+) printer? Then you could swap those for testing.

Perhaps you can get a deal from your reseller where you agree on trying a replacement power supply and can return it when no improvement is seen? Perhaps your reseller has a cheap use power supply you can buy?

When you are confident with software there is another route you could test: in the firmware we have a setting to reduce the max consumed power. When you reduce that setting it will take longer for your build plate to heat, but at least you can see if this improves behvior without making costs.

• Put the printer into developer mode (in the System/diagnostics menu)
    • From your computer create an SSH connection to the printer (login with: root/ultimaker)
    • Edit the configuration file with: vi /usr/share/griffin/griffin/machines/um3.json
    • Around line 132 you'll find the setting: "total_power_budget": 221, // [WATT]
    • Change the value 221 to a lower value like 180  (you can start typing values in VI by hitting the 'i' key first)
    • Save results and exit vi by typing: ESC :wq
    • reboot printer and test the new settings

Installing new firmware will reset these values again, so a more sustainable solution is to test this and when confirmed to work, then order a replacement power supply.

Thanks, CarloK.

Unluckily I've no other similar adaptor at home, where I've the UM3x, but I've an Ultimaker S5 at the office: do they use the same adapter (cannot check now). In that case I could try the S5 working adaptor...

The S5 isn't an option as it has an internal power supply.

Because of the larger build plate, the S5 requires a stronger power supply. The power supply we have on the UM3 is about the largest external power supply available (has to do with safety regulations which don't allow more than 10 amps on these type of connector pins). That's why we had to change to an internal power supply type.

The UM2, UM2+, UM3 and the new UM2+Connect all share the same external power supply model.

So... unluckily I've no other options here.

Nonetheless.. it's quite probable is a power problem: in this case... how many probabilities it is an adaptor problem, and not a problem of internal circuitry?

Consider my UM3x is about 5 years old but rarely used in comparison to the "standard": it's an home printer, not a fablab one.

Most likely the problem for the printer rebooting is because the power supply can't deliver enough peak power and the printer reboots on the resulting power dip. That being said, you should try two more things before buying a replacement power supply:

• When did you last do maintenance on the printer? Dirt and dust on the rods will make it harder for the motors to move, increasing the power consumption. Oiling the rods can reduce peak power consumption by 10 Watts.
    • Never tried myself, but just read a tip for rebooting the power supply: disconnect the power cord, but leave the printer connected and switched on. As mentioned, it could otherwise take days for the power supply to drain.

Just some more random tips:

• Here a link to a topic discussing where to buy these power supplies.

• And another topic where flickering led lights are recognized as an indication for a power supply going bad.

• It seems like the Ultimaker spare part is more expensive then when you buy this component from other sources. I see respectable sources for €86 where our American distributor sells it for $185.
    • The power supply is a Mean Well GST220A24-R7B (perhaps your printer has the older, but comparable model GS220A24-R7B (without the 'T')). Get it from a respectable source, not from AliExpress. In Europe I recommend Conrad, but they are out of stock now for 7 weeks.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'll first try the "complete drain" method.

And printout some tests.

If it will fail again... I'll try with a new adapter. Seen available on Amazon Italy, both GS and GST (mine is a GST). The GS seems "older" but more reliable (costs 30€ more): eventually I'll go for that one.

I'll keep you up to date, and thanks again!