Cura 4.12.1 very very slow on my amd threadripper 3990x

RogueWave

Posted · Cura 4.12.1 very very slow on my amd threadripper 3990x

Have to wait 5 to 6 seconds or more to select a model, move it, select material etc....task manager indicates 2% CPU or more with very high to moderate POWER USAGE

have to close Cura and reload then it's fine for awhile maybe back to slow again

Suggestions??????

Thanks

10 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Can you try disabling the UM3 Network Printing and USB Printing plugins on the Installed tab of the Marketplace?

Disabled those plugins and speed is GREAT......thanks

but lost cloud printing on my S5......cuz UM3 disabled now??????? Correct?????

5 minutes ago, RogueWave said:

Disabled those plugins and speed is GREAT......thanks

but lost cloud printing on my S5......cuz UM3 disabled now??????? Correct?????

abled UM3 only and back to slow to dead slow with Cura on just selecting a model, then trying to move it.....

At least we now have a culprit.

I have a hunch the real problem is the combination of something in your network and the "zeroconf" (also known as bonjour, avahi) component that is used to find your printer on the local network.

If you would like to experiment, open plugins/UM3NetworkPrinting/src/Network/LocalClusterOutputDeviceManager.py in a text editor and change line 62 from self._zero_conf_client.start() to #self._zero_conf_client.start(). Put the # directly in front of self._zero_conf_client.start(), not at the beginning of the line.

This should disable the zeroconf discovery of printers. Effectively this means that you have to manually add your local printer by its IP address.

12 hours ago, ahoeben said:

At least we now have a culprit.

I have a hunch the real problem is the combination of something in your network and the "zeroconf" (also known as bonjour, avahi) component that is used to find your printer on the local network.

If you would like to experiment, open plugins/UM3NetworkPrinting/src/Network/LocalClusterOutputDeviceManager.py in a text editor and change line 62 from self._zero_conf_client.start() to #self._zero_conf_client.start(). Put the # directly in front of self._zero_conf_client.start(), not at the beginning of the line.

This should disable the zeroconf discovery of printers. Effectively this means that you have to manually add your local printer by its IP address.

5D8BA62C-DB6D-4E42-8788-332407CA3C01.thumb.jpeg.e70ce3bdb1ae05884c3b310e8967cba6.jpeg

Must say my network is strange from time to time 

1) Cura 4.9.1

2) 4.12.0

3) 4.12.1

uninstalled 4.12.0 but listed in photo 

what is Cura 4.9.1??

need advice on above

thanks

Hi guys,

I have an ender3v2 and wanted to add the octoprint RPi upgrade, since i registred the  printer, cura was just a slow slow snail (this computer is new also with rtx3060 and windows11).

Thanks to your message with the disabling of the plugging listed above, it's working well now, but i don't know if there was a better solution to get back octoprint ? i don't have time to try the zeroconf disabling in the python file.

cura 4.13.1 for me and windows11

43 minutes ago, darkdrago74 said:

i don't have time to try the zeroconf disabling in the python file.

cura 4.13.1 for me and windows11

You don't have to disable anything in Python. Can you try unchecking the "Automatically discover local OctoPrint instances" checkbox at the bottom of the Connect to OctoPrint dialog?

Hi sir,

Sorry for the late reply but I just dropped a bit the 3d printing because the issue cames back after I wrote my previous message... Tried to fully update the computer as it was new, bios and everything is up to date. I saw cura 5.0 beta was released and I installed it. Unfortunately, the issue is still here. I didn't mentioned it but it seems relevant, the processor is a AMD Ryzen7 with windows11.

It's really strange because even my old surface pro3 run it well.

Let me know if I can install something so you can have logs easily with the way to use it. 

Also, rotating the object works instantly like multiplying it, but moving it make the hole cura crash and doesn't respond anymore. And if it respond after 30secs, navigating the menu Options etc is slow as hell and may not respond too. Even when a simple cube calibration is loaded.

Octoprint plugging is not installed on cura 5.0 also. Hope it helps

Hi @ahoeben again, i found the solution while having some troubles using Labview. The issue is due to the AMD ryzen processor.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/error-loading-lvanlys-dll-in-Labview-64-bits/m-p/4012188#M1147294

The solution purposed  is working great and improving/solving the issue about the bad performances. It's really fast now.

Extracted from the discussion on the thread: (thanks to those guys)

1) Add a new environmental variable in Windows: Control Panel » System » Advanced System Settings » Advanced » Environment Variables » System variables (the bottom part of the dialog) » New
    2) Put MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE as Variable name
    3) Put 4 as Variable value (or 5)
    4) Confirm OK multiple times to close all dialogs
    5) (A Windows restart might be needed.)

7 hours ago, darkdrago74 said:

MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE = 5

That is an interesting find. I'll see if I can help more people with that.