Vague "Unable to slice" error

benjamins94

Posted (edited) · Vague "Unable to slice" error

Has anyone on the developing team ever thought that the "Unable to slice" error might be a little too vague?

Pretty often I get that error, change one variable so it allows me to slice again, then change the variable back to what it was in the first place, and the error is gone

Might that be the reason? "unable to slice" for no reason whatsoever, so that's why there's no more info in it?

Edit: Video of the issue:
https://youtu.be/-A9OF2HBZJU

Edited by benjamins94

9 hours ago, benjamins94 said:

Will the error get more detailed if I post those?

No, but my answer might be.

/w

On 11/25/2021 at 11:03 PM, benjamins94 said:

change one variable so it allows me to slice again, then change the variable back to what it was in the first place, and the error is gone

It will be especially useful if you tell us which one variable you had to change and then change back again.

Edited by ahoeben

8 hours ago, ahoeben said:

It will be especially useful if you tell us which one variable you had to change and then change back again.

Any variable, just so it lets me (or itself?) try again

Moving a model and then undoing it by ctrl+Z also does the trick

Also, /w?

Edited by benjamins94

Posted · Vague "Unable to slice" error

Happened for the first time since upgrading to 4.12

cura.log cura.log.1.log

On 11/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, ahoeben said:

/w

• Laugh 1

I think Cura usually colors the parameter red (if it's a parameter).  Otherwise usually the model is outside the print area and has zebra stripes to indicate that the model is the problem somehow.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:04 PM, ahoeben said:

/w

Are you insulting yourself by quoting yourself and writing /w?

I already said it doesn't matter, it's just so it lets me click the "slice" button again

On 11/27/2021 at 4:55 PM, benjamins94 said:

Any variable, just so it lets me (or itself?) try again

Moving a model and then undoing it by ctrl+Z also does the trick

On 12/24/2021 at 3:07 AM, gr5 said:

I think Cura usually colors the parameter red (if it's a parameter).  Otherwise usually the model is outside the print area and has zebra stripes to indicate that the model is the problem somehow.

I do not understand, does changing a variable and undoing the change move the model to a suitable location to print?

Anyway, my main point (check the thread title) was that the "unable to slice" error might be a little to vague and it could show some useful information instead, maybe the cause of the error?

Edited by benjamins94

@benjamins94 And my point is that cura *does* tell you the cause of the error.  It doesn't do it in words - it does it by colors and patterns.  Red is a universal color for errors/problems.  And if it doesn't that might be a bug so you need to tell us which error got missed.

Again:

It tells you by turning the parameter red if it's a parameter.

If it's not a parameter it has other ways of telling you but you are convinced it's a parameter so we'll skip that part.

Now it might be that it does *not* turn the parameter red and if so I'd like to know about it because maybe there is a bug.  That's why we want to know which parameter you changed to get it to slice again.

Actually the only thing I can think of is if the part is too big to slice and the parameter you are referring to is adhesion type, or brim or something similar where the size of the brim makes the part too big to slice.  Could that be what you are talking about?

I think for that maybe I agree that there should be a text message that lists the parameters that affect the size (I think there 3 to 6 parameters that can affect that maybe).

Look no one is going to fix this if they can't duplicate an example.  If there are multiple examples at least one example will give the developers an idea of other similar examples.

I think we have a misunderstanding

1.) Cura tells me "unable to slice"

2.) I move the model, and ctrl+Z to move it back to where it was, and click "slice" button again

3.) Cura slices without the error

Or

1.) Cura tells me "unable to slice"

2.) I pick a random variable, let's say "wall line count", i change it from 3 to 2 and back to 3 again, and click the "slice" button again

3.) Cura slices without the error

The slice button becomes greyed out, so I change the variable (again, ANY of them, doesn't matter) or move the model so it becomes clickable again

I wish I could tell you which error got missed, but the only thing I get is "unable to slice"
    I uploaded the .log files a few minutes after it happened

Will do a screen record next time...

Edited by benjamins94

I have had this happen several times for a while now.  When it happens, there are NO parameters that are red ( At least no VISIBLE parameters).  As BenjaminS94 says, change ANY single parameter, and change it back and you will be able to slice.   Change temp, change it back.  Change speed, change it back.  Change the number of walls and change it back.  It does seem like you could literally change any single parameter, and then change it back.

No, but my answer might be.

/w

There, finally remembered to record:
    https://youtu.be/-A9OF2HBZJU

As I have stated before: it does not matter, any variable

cura.log

Edited by benjamins94
    Forgot to add .log

I currently don't have time to look into it.

Can you easily reproduce it with a model and certain settings? If so, a project file is also useful to track down the issue.

If the problem also resolves itself by slightly repositioning or rotating the model, there is a known bug that can keep models from slicing.

No, the slice button is gray.  He changes a setting and back again and then he can slice.  The 15 second video makes it clear.  So the workaround is trivial.  Just change *anything* and change it back again.

I've also seen this issue.  It's so minor I don't even think about it.  I barely notice it anymore.  I spend more brain cycles trying to find my mouse pointer.  But it is a bug.

@benjamins94 - How often does this happen?  It seems like it has such an easy workaround that maybe most people won't care?  anyway, I recommend you create an "issue" on github here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues

It's free but you have to create a github account. Please include that log file and a link to that video.  And a link to this topic.  And please mention that the video is only 15 seconds and makes things clear to get more developers to think about this issue.  It wasn't clear to me that the problem was unrelated to settings but that just clicking any setting checkbox and reversing that was the fix.  I don't know if I was a sloppy reader or what but make that as simple and clear as possible.

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

No, the slice button is gray.  He changes a setting and back again and then he can slice

Yes, I read that. I was trying to find out if this was the same underlying issue that is solved by repositioning the model.

29 minutes ago, gr5 said:

It seems like it has such an easy workaround that maybe most people won't care? 

The developers care. However it is an issue that is hard to reproduce, and any issue that is hard to reproduce is hard to fix.

I haven't had this issue for quite some time.  Maybe as much as a year.   Even when I was having the problem on occasion, it was so minor and easily circumvented that I quit monitoring this forum for a resolution.  There have been a few new versions of Cura since then, so I just assumed it had been resolved.