How do i export a file with extruders included? The 3d printer I have to use is a community one and I can't use Cura to connect to it...

SciSpaceProductions

Posted · How do i export a file with extruders included? The 3d printer I have to use is a community one and I can't use Cura to connect to it...

I don't understand the question. Perhaps other people do, then they can jump in.
But, until those more understanding people join, it would be helpful when you could provide more info.

So far I have discovered from your posted files that you have sliced an object for the S5 printer on Cura 4.12.1. This is for the material PLA and you are only using the left extruder.

You also posted an obj-file. Many programs use such an extension. For what kind of program is this file used? Blender?

Please give more details about your problem. What is happening and how would you like to see this different?

Posted · How do i export a file with extruders included? The 3d printer I have to use is a community one and I can't use Cura to connect to it...

OK @CarloK I don't know that I understand any better but I'll this a shot.

The OBJ file is just a model and it would need to be sliced in Cura so Cura could create a gcode file (that would have extrusions) that the printer can read.  The UFP file (I think) has Gcode information in it that some printers can read, but I think it is specific to Ultimaker printers(????).

Whatever printer your "community printer" is (Ultimaker, Creality, Monoprice, whatever) would need it's definition installed in Cura as your active printer so that the gcode is compatible.  Then you can copy the gcode file to an SD card (or maybe a mini SD card) and the printer will read it from there.

Trying to print a file that was created for a different printer is never a good idea.  In some cases it works, in others it doesn't work and can make a real mess.  If the community printer is an Ultimaker S5 then it could conceivably  work.  If the community printer is (for example) a Tevo Tornado, then it won't.

Hello, here is what im trying to say, my community printer at my library wants you to give them a 3d model on a usb drive to them, hence I can't use this app to directly community printer as much as I would like to, is there any way to insert the extruders into an actual exportable file which is readable by all 3d printers, or is it that I have to spend another fifteen hours placing them myself...

Well stl files are the standard - all slicers can read an stl file.  You can export your part as an stl file and any slicer out there can read it.

One problem with your posts is the way you use the word "extruders".  I don't think you are using the right word here.  Do you mean colors?  filament types?  gcodes?  I'm thinking you mean the gcode commands.  You don't want to put those into a model file if the library is doing the slicing.

An "extruder" is the part of the printer that heats the plastic and squirts it out.  Some printers have 2 or more extruders so you can do multi colored prints or one material may be dissolvable support material to support the part while printing.

Blender should be able to output your part as an stl file.  Or if you have multiple parts, multiple stl files (select each separate part and extrude them one at a time ).  Or you can export multiple parts into one big stl file (usually called a "plate of parts").

Or if your part has multiple colors and the library printer can handle 2 colors you export each of the 2 colors as a separate stl file and the slicer will put them back together.

I mention multiple colors only because you mentioned multiple extruders.

what I meant by extruders, are those little part which are holding the higher parts up so it doesn't get ruined, which you break of later, I don't know the words for them but I used "extruder" because they popped up when I hit that setting, sorry for the confusion...

Ah.  That's called "support".  It is printed material to support your part.  I'd love to see a screenshot of your part and maybe also the support.

But why not let the librarian worry about support?  Presumably they are using Cura and have done this before and know what does and doesn't need supports.

One popular support option is "tree support".  It would be really nice to be able to export that but I don't think it's possible.  You aren't the first to ask for the ability to export tree support.

By the way there is also "infill" which is similar to support but inside the model and part of the final model.  Whereas supports are removed and thrown away.