Recommended carbon fiber filaments with UM S3?

AustinMaker

Posted · Recommended carbon fiber filaments with UM S3?

Hi Folks,

I’m close to buying an Ultimaker S3 with a CC print core and looking for recommendations for a carbon fiber filament.  I’ve really not been able to find much online about printing CF with the S3. Has anyone had success printing CF with the S3? If so, any filament recommendations?  

I’m upgrading from an Ender 3, and I can tell you I only had nightmares with CF on that machine. The whole thing has been a great learning experience, but I’m ready to actually have repeatable parts from a reliable machine.

thanks!

Posted (edited) · Recommended carbon fiber filaments with UM S3?

I would recommend looking at the Ultimaker Marketplace (https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/materials?fillings=carbon_fiber&machine_variant=Ultimaker S3&page=1), since those are materials that have purpose built profiles and have been verified to work.

Edited by nallath
    • Like 1

Pointer much appreciated, great asset for the Ultimaker community. If anyone has experience with these and would be willing to share, that would also be welcome. Looking to make things like brackets and other fabricated pieces that require some strength.

thanks again!

• Like 1

If it's only strength / stiffness you're looking for a PLA and/or PET(G) carbon-fiber is a good and easy CF material (don't need to dry all the time, as is the case for Nylon). GreenTEC PRO from Extrudr is very stiff, prints nice and is affordable (PLA with CF), and the different PET CFs print really well too. If you're comfortable printing Nylon, there are also very nice options on the marketplace too at a slightly higher cost. Be prepared to store materials properly with e.g. PrintDry or a PolyBox) and using Magigoo PA to prevent warping with Nylons.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use the BASF Ultrafuse PET CF15 and have been fairly happy with the results. Be sure to get the 0.6 CC print core. I first bought the CC 0.4 only to find out it wasn't compatible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had good luck with Matterhackers NylonX. I've also used NylonG, although that's not carbon fiber. 

Adhesion to the bed takes some work. I use a flexible Garolite surface with PVA glue and I always use a brim. 

• 3 weeks later...

After testing several materials, I'm happy with Polymaker PolyMide PA6-CF with generous applied dimafix on the build plate + brim.
    If also strenght between the layers is needed, especially in Z-direction, I temper at 250°C in plaster powder (instead of ground salt)
    Tensile strenght at break rises to 80 N/mm². For those who are interested in details, see attached test report.

20201223_Biegezugprobe_messprotokoll.pdf

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · Recommended carbon fiber filaments with UM S3?

Curious if folks are happy with the default profiles for these materials. Looks like most (I looked at BASF Ultrafuse PAHT-CF15, DSM/Covestro Novamid ID 1030 CF, Matterhackers NylonX)  of the CF nylons use a CC 0.6 core and the only profiles available are 'Fast - .2mm'. I am most concerned with dimensional accuracy above all else so a bit concerned to see that there aren't any engineering profiles.

I was most recently running a couple of Markforged printers using their CF Nylon and I am hoping to achieve similar results to those machines  on our new S5 if possible. 

Edited by jakeImpulse

On 12/21/2021 at 11:19 PM, arj3090 said:

I use the BASF Ultrafuse PET CF15 and have been fairly happy with the results. Be sure to get the 0.6 CC print core. I first bought the CC 0.4 only to find out it wasn't compatible.

Did you try to print with the CC 0.4 and a generic PET CF profile? If so, what were the results?