Help! What happened?

TopQuark

Posted · Help! What happened?

The best way to reset Cura is to go to "Help -> Show configuration folder". Then close Cura, and remove all the files from the configuration folder that opened, but leave the empty folder in place.  Then restart Cura.

Posted (edited) · Help! What happened?

Problem discovered and solved!

Thanks for all the help guys, but check this out...

After sending a couple kilograms of filament through my first nozzle (I did not really think they wore out that fast), I guess it gave up the ghost all at once.  The new one has a much pointy-er nose on it and is spewing hot plastic like a finely controlled champ.

Fat Bottoms, girls...

Fat_Bottom.png

Edited by TopQuark

• 2 weeks later...

Wear also depends a lot on what materials you print. Filled materials (metal fill, sand/stone, carbon fiber, glow in the dark,...) tend to wear out brass nozzles very quickly. Even plain white wears out nozzles, more than other colors, I guess because some are filled with chalk to make it opaque white.

Well you are certainly right.  My new, less than a week old nozzle is no longer pointy nosed.  It is not 3mm in diameter like the first one was when it failed, but it is flattening out after doing a few glow-in-the-dark jobs.  The stuff I have is like emory particles on a strand.  I thought that the nose doesn't touch as it lays out the next layer, but apparently it drags as it builds?  I set my nose in bed leveling at about 0.11 mm on the bed center and get excellent results from a new nozzle, but I started noticing quality changes after a few print jobs and sure enough, the nozzle is starting to flatten.  I am going to have to get one of those tungsten nozzles I saw on Amazon.  Are they all pretty much standardized or are they machine specific?  I would think there are probably two or three main types, but I haven't looked yet.  That's next.  Just wanted to update you and confirm your assessments.

Yes, you really need a hardened nozzle for glow-in-the-dark: it seems it contains very hard crystals, harder than brass. But I don't know which type of nozzle is suitable, no experience with that. Maybe hardened steel might do, maybe not and it needs to be a ruby? Try finding the hardness of the particles, and nozzles?