UM2+ Mark 2 upgrade - Hot end / extruder (+expansion board) from AliExpress

Posted · UM2+ Mark 2 upgrade - Hot end / extruder (+expansion board) from AliExpress

Hi all,

Really excited about upgrading my UM2+ to Mark 2. As far as I am aware my best option for getting hold of the required expansion board is AliExpress (£25) - no problem there.

However I noticed another seller also provides the hot end and extruder along with the expansion board (£95). My original plan was to invest in an official UM2+ upgrade kit (over £450) to carry out the Mark 2 upgrade, but I can't help but be tempted by the AliExpress option.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829918859.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4174634f9crqiq&algo_pvid=e79b29e7-02ec-4dc8-9352-eb51e76ca7f1&algo_exp_id=e79b29e7-02ec-4dc8-9352-eb51e76ca7f1-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"65086776888"}

Anyone have any experience with this hot end and extruder? I know they are not genuine, but I don't have much experience with "copies" when it comes to 3D printing. I am loath to cheap out on it if I am just going to get lots of problems. In the past I have always gone with official stuff, and as a result (I think) my 3D printing experience has been relatively pain-free.

Any and all help much appreciated.

Matt.

Posted · UM2+ Mark 2 upgrade - Hot end / extruder (+expansion board) from AliExpress

It just so happens that I bought 3 of those and can tell you a lot about that product.  It has a flaw.  The side fans will not work.  I forget the details but I think they are 5V fans and you need 12V fans.  Maybe.  I forget the details but expect to have to get fans.  Other than that it seems to work quite well.  I didn't use any of the 3 for myself but gave them to 3 other people (at cost - no profit) and all 3 said the kit was fine other than the fans.

• Like 1

It's for adding a second extruder to the UM2 printer.  It's all the hardware you need for the mark2 project.  Although you can ignore that PCB and some of the cables and the magnets and instead use it to turn your printer into a UM2+ but again the fans are useless.

17 hours ago, gr5 said:

It just so happens that I bought 3 of those and can tell you a lot about that product.  It has a flaw.  The side fans will not work.  I forget the details but I think they are 5V fans and you need 12V fans.  Maybe.  I forget the details but expect to have to get fans.  Other than that it seems to work quite well.  I didn't use any of the 3 for myself but gave them to 3 other people (at cost - no profit) and all 3 said the kit was fine other than the fans.

@gr5 you are a fountain of knowledge as usual, thanks for the info. I have bought just the board and will source an official UM2+ upgrade kit. I do have a spare feeder motor (there is no motor included with the chinese kit as far as I can tell) and also a spare set of fans from when I upgraded my UM2 to UM2+, so maybe it would all work out OK, but to be honest I don't think I want to take the risk for the cost difference. Glad to hear yours are all fine though!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gr5 said:

It's for adding a second extruder to the UM2 printer.  It's all the hardware you need for the mark2 project.  Although you can ignore that PCB and some of the cables and the magnets and instead use it to turn your printer into a UM2+ but again the fans are useless.

Strange... my UM2 board has all the necessary ports for a second feeder and hotend... I didn't need a separate PCB for that.

But I only have a 1.75mm extruder as second extruder and I only use one at a time. Maybe that makes the difference.

The second PCB is explained in detail in the mark2 upgrade explanation.  It helps out with all the wiring and particularly to control 3 more fans on the second test head.  I recommend you watch the video.  It's really a fascinating upgrade from some really smart people.  And it's "free" as they explain.

https://magnetic-tool-changer.com/

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · UM2+ Mark 2 upgrade - Hot end / extruder (+expansion board) from AliExpress
    2 hours ago, reibuehl said:

Strange... my UM2 board has all the necessary ports for a second feeder and hotend... I didn't need a separate PCB for that.

But I only have a 1.75mm extruder as second extruder and I only use one at a time. Maybe that makes the difference.

It's an alternative to using Y cables for the fans etc, gives you better control. I say this like I know what I am talking about, obviously I'll see how easy it is very soon!!

EDIT: That said, the new UM2s apparently don't have a 5th motor driver..... I believe mine is old enough to have it, but it's been a while since I dug around inside to confirm...... fingers crossed I don't need a new mainboard as well!!

Edited by purps