Need Help! My printer started printing all alone!

primeiro

Posted · Need Help! My printer started printing all alone!

Please i need some help to understand whats going on. Today  my printer started some print jobs that I did not sent to...its even more strange because the stl's sent to her i don't even recognize them...never worked on those print models dont even ever saw then...what's going on?? Some kind of poltergeist??

Many thanks!

Primeiro

Is your printer connected to the public internet or is the printer accessible from the internet? (Router, Portforwarding,...)

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

Is your printer connected to the public internet or is the printer accessible from the internet? (Router, Portforwarding,...)

Yes its connected to my router. 

So if you're printer is connected to Internet,  I suppose it's might be possible that someone who was trying to add their printer to their cloud made a type-o and put in the PIN for your printer.  I would look around in the digital factory and try to see if there is a place to force-generate a new PIN for the printer and/or revoke all outstanding PINs.

• Like 1

I don't think that a typo is enough to put a foreign printer into another account. As far as I know, also the printer itself has to be in a state that he can be connected to the Digital Factory. Otherwise it would be a big security issue, when someone can just try a lot of PINs. So when you don't select the "connect to cloud" option on the printer menu, then nothing happens.

But I meant another issue with my question above. Some users just want to access the printer from outside and put the printer directly to the internet. So the printer has a public IP address or they opened the WebGUI port on the router/firewall to be able to access to printer from home. This is a very high security risk, because then everyone can access your printer and send print jobs. I think that's the case here.

So please, put the printer behind a firewall/router, don't forward any port from outside to your printer and just use the Digital Factory feature where are also able to access your printer from home, but not exposing the whole printer unprotected to everyone.

Just to think that nobody knows the IP address is not enough to feel "protected". A google search with some parameters is usually enough to find exposed printers, webcams and so on.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I don't think that a typo is enough to put a foreign printer into another account. As far as I know, also the printer itself has to be in a state that he can be connected to the Digital Factory. Otherwise it would be a big security issue, when someone can just try a lot of PINs. So when you don't select the "connect to cloud" option on the printer menu, then nothing happens.

But I meant another issue with my question above. Some users just want to access the printer from outside and put the printer directly to the internet. So the printer has a public IP address or they opened the WebGUI port on the router/firewall to be able to access to printer from home. This is a very high security risk, because then everyone can access your printer and send print jobs. I think that's the case here.

So please, put the printer behind a firewall/router, don't forward any port from outside to your printer and just use the Digital Factory feature where are also able to access your printer from home, but not exposing the whole printer unprotected to everyone.

Just to think that nobody knows the IP address is not enough to feel "protected". A google search with some parameters is usually enough to find exposed printers, webcams and so on.

I have just did the procedure standard procedure to add a printer to the network... No forwarding ports... Just standard installation... Its a pre owened device... Can the previous owner access it some how?? 

5 minutes ago, primeiro said:

Its a pre owened device... Can the previous owner access it some how??

Could be when the printer was connected to the digital factory before. You could do a factory reset or maybe better a "...connect.." reset, don't know the exact name out of my head, but it is in the same menu as the factory reset. That just resets the cloud configuration and would disconnect the printer from the previous owners Digital factory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Could be when the printer was connected to the digital factory before. You could do a factory reset or maybe better a "...connect.." reset, don't know the exact name out of my head, but it is in the same menu as the factory reset. That just resets the cloud configuration and would disconnect the printer from the previous owners Digital factory.

I'll give it a try on that... It might be it... 

Additionally it could also be helpful if you then connect your printer to your own Digital Factory account. There are a lot of useful functions there, not only when you are away from your printer, but it makes some things easier.

• Like 1

Since you say it's a pre-owned printer, could it just be that there was a print still left in the queue that it spat out once it got the correct core/filament-combo loaded?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IRobertI said:

Since you say it's a pre-owned printer, could it just be that there was a print still left in the queue that it spat out once it got the correct core/filament-combo loaded?

I guess not because I own it and used it for more than a year... Only yesterday I've started getting this issue... 

Posted (edited) · Need Help! My printer started printing all alone!

Hi Primeiro, 
    I'm sorry to hear that the connection is not working as expected. 

To help us understand what's going on, would you mind telling us;
    -Was the printer internet connected before this Saturday?
    -Does your queue in digital factory show the unfamiliar printjobs? (https://digitalfactory.ultimaker.com/app/print-jobs/in_progress)

-Did the "connect reset"option fix the problem?
    ---If not, does the local connect interface show the unfamiliar printjobs? (type the print IP adress in your browser when you are on the same network)

We don't suspect unauthorised access to your machine, but since it's pre-owned it could indeed be a ghost of the past trying to print already queued printjobs

Kind regards, 
    Roderick

Edited by RHuijgen

This is a kinda basic question, since I am also new to the hardware side of things, I'm kinda asking for my own benefit as well as the OP - I know you can get print logs from UM printers (some at least, and not sure if you get it by default), so would that log include the source of the print job, as well as the time it was submitted?  So if it was an artifact that was hanging around in, say, the Digital Factory ether, that date stamp would tell you a lot.  Also some of the ways people name their files can include the date.... sometimes, for example when I submit prints to go through my library's printer, I have to put my name in the filename.  So these are some things that I thought might be helpful if they can be had out of the print log files.

14 hours ago, RHuijgen said:

Hi Primeiro, 
    I'm sorry to hear that the connection is not working as expected. 

To help us understand what's going on, would you mind telling us;
    -Was the printer internet connected before this Saturday?
    -Does your queue in digital factory show the unfamiliar printjobs? (https://digitalfactory.ultimaker.com/app/print-jobs/in_progress)

-Did the "connect reset"option fix the problem?
    ---If not, does the local connect interface show the unfamiliar printjobs? (type the print IP adress in your browser when you are on the same network)

We don't suspect unauthorised access to your machine, but since it's pre-owned it could indeed be a ghost of the past trying to print already queued printjobs

Kind regards, 
    Roderick

Thanks for the help.... Yes the print job it's on my queue... Already cancelled... So far I've reseted the DF configuration and blocked all Internet traffic on the router...

Was the printer internet connected before this Saturday?- yes for about two years 

3 hours ago, primeiro said:

Thanks for the help.... Yes the print job it's on my queue... Already cancelled... So far I've reseted the DF configuration and blocked all Internet traffic on the router...

Was the printer internet connected before this Saturday?- yes for about two years 

If it was in the DF queue, then I reiterate my original suggestion that someone stumbled upon your printer's "cloud" id by accident.  I've heard of screwy things like this where a type-o had a big impact.  Not to stray off topic, but I once had a very large deposit show up in my bank account due to a type-o.  The bank corrected it after a few days, but during that time I was thinking I might retire a decade early. LOL. They construct the id matrix to be sparse, but if they are truly random then there will be a few addresses that are close to each other.  This is also one of the grounds for making traffic cameras illegal in some states - as they try to do same think with license plates but still you get lots of errors.

Posted (edited) · Need Help! My printer started printing all alone!

Hi Primeiro (and others following this thread)

Your problem is odd one;

-If there is a print-job in the digital factory queue, that means someone had access to the printer through a cloud or local connection. Their (account) name would show up as owner of the printjob if this was the case.
    -If there is a print-job in the digital factory History then it's likely a remnant of the previous owner. printjobs were saved on the printer in the past and without a factory reset, these were migrated to the Cloud account of the current owner of the machines. It might be that one of these remnants was accidentally reprinted by the current owner of the printer.

Accidental connection:
    A accidental account connection through a typo seems unlikely though. Our connection flow only allows for the right pincode to be entered for 10 minutes and the pincodes are completely random. We don't see enough connections realised at the same moment for this to be a risk. Also it would mean Primeiro would loose connection to the printer, since the printer is only ever connected to a single Ultimaker account.

Since you disconnected your machine (understandable with strange printjobs appearing on your buildplate) it will be hard for us to find out what happened exactly.  However if you end up connecting again and the problems is still there here's what you could do to get to the bottom of it:

-download the printer report and look for the owner of the unfamiliar printjob

-download the logs and send them to us

-provide us with the printer ID so we can have a look at who is sending you these printjobs

I'm sorry we can not give you a more definitive answer at this moment.

Kind regards
    Roderick

Edited by RHuijgen

13 hours ago, RHuijgen said:

Your problem is odd one;

-If there is a print-job in the digital factory queue, that means someone had access to the printer through a cloud or local connection. Their (account) name would show up as owner of the printjob if this was the case.
    -If there is a print-job in the digital factory History then it's likely a remnant of the previous owner. printjobs were saved on the printer in the past and without a factory reset, these were migrated to the Cloud account of the current owner of the machines. It might be that one of these remnants was accidentally reprinted by the current owner of the printer.

Accidental connection:
    A accidental account connection through a typo seems unlikely though. Our connection flow only allows for the right pincode to be entered for 10 minutes and the pincodes are completely random. We don't see enough connections realised at the same moment for this to be a risk. Also it would mean Primeiro would loose connection to the printer, since the printer is only ever connected to a single Ultimaker account.

Since you disconnected your machine (understandable with strange printjobs appearing on your buildplate) it will be hard for us to find out what happened exactly.  However if you end up connecting again and the problems is still there here's what you could do to get to the bottom of it:

-provide us with the printer ID so we can have a look at who is sending you these printjobs

Kind regards
    Roderick

Im working on sensitive designs so i'm not felling safe for now to reconnect it soon...but i will do it later..i must do it. I have some printscreen of the printjob after i cancelled it...is there a way that i could send it to you?

On 1/19/2022 at 7:26 PM, primeiro said:

Im working on sensitive designs so i'm not felling safe for now to reconnect it soon...but i will do it later..i must do it. I have some printscreen of the printjob after i cancelled it...is there a way that i could send it to you?

Just want to suggest that you may not want to connect to cloud services if your work is that sensitive.  I love to share experiences - and here's one to take to heart - when I was working at a Physics lab at Harvard, there was a big name prof there who insisted that the PC in the lab not ever be connected to the Internet.  This was in the 1990s.  His point - that is the only 100% guarantee your PC won't be hijacked (USB drives hadn't been implemented yet, and file based macro-viruses were just coming on the scene. 

Unless you REALLY know what you are doing in terms of opening up the ports on the firewall / exceptions that allow "the cloud" to do all those neat-o things people want like printing from a phone, etc., I would NOT connect the thing especially given the issue you've already head.  Even then, I don't know how robust vs. hackable the communication protocols are that are used by "Cloud" services for this machine... so yeah, if you are producing top secret government prototypes, stay offline.  If you are just concerned about idea theft, proceed at your own risk. Would love to hear what others with more specific knowledge of the digital factory have to say on this.

• Like 1

How more strange can it get then this: today connected the printer to the Internet for only one single minute and it just got connected to someone else digital factory even without confirmation of the pin... The pin just popped up in the screen (as if I was trying to pair it wish I wasn't!) I have manually skipped it, but later I've checked the DF menu and it was connected! What's going on?? Totally insane and a major issue regarding privacy and data security/protection! Unfortunately I'll have to physically disconnect the printer from my network and work with the old USB stick. This should be a real concern from ultimaker clearing everyone on what are they doing with costumer data. Really sorry for my words but I'm really mad about it. 

On 1/19/2022 at 10:43 AM, RHuijgen said:

Your problem is odd one;

Accidental connection:

Kind regards
    Roderick

How more strange can it get then this: today connected the printer to the Internet for only one single minute and it just got connected to someone else digital factory even without confirmation of the pin... The pin just popped up in the screen (as if I was trying to pair it wish I wasn't!) I have manually skipped it, but later I've checked the DF menu and it was connected! What's going on?? Totally insane and a major issue regarding privacy and data security/protection! Unfortunately I'll have to physically disconnect the printer from my network and work with the old USB stick. This should be a real concern from ultimaker clearing everyone on what are they doing with costumer data. Really sorry for my words but I'm really mad about it. 

On 2/6/2022 at 1:03 PM, primeiro said:

How more strange can it get then this: today connected the printer to the Internet for only one single minute and it just got connected to someone else digital factory even without confirmation of the pin... The pin just popped up in the screen (as if I was trying to pair it wish I wasn't!) I have manually skipped it, but later I've checked the DF menu and it was connected! What's going on??

Hi Primeiro, If I understand the symptoms correctly what you have run into to be expected, the printer opens up the connection but is not associated to an account until the pin-flow is finished. There is no risk at this point of your files ending up where they shouldn't.

However you issues continues to raise eyebrows within our team, so we would like to take this into the official support channels to make sure we can help you better (and log it for future issues). Would you mind opening up a support ticket at https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000516440 so we can give it the attention it deserves? It would also help us a lot of you add the log files to this ticket, you can find how to do that here: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015583819-Save-log-files-to-USB

On 1/26/2022 at 11:59 PM, gdog said:

Would love to hear what others with more specific knowledge of the digital factory have to say on this.

Hi gdog, considering the importance of our Cloud ecosystem to the Ultimaker products and customers, we have a extensive support article about security of our system that we usually share with IT departments at our business customers: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018732359
    I hope this information can shed some light on our confidence in our cloud security