Ultimaker Cura CRASHING in every version.

jkonttila

Posted · Ultimaker Cura CRASHING in every version.

The program clearly has compatibility issues with AMD graphics cards. I myself have an AMD RX580. Cura slicer crashes every time immediately after launching without any error message. All the drivers on my computer are up to date. All possible solutions to fix the problem have been tried.. I have already made several error reports about this. This has been going on for one full year. I haven't got responded to any error reports. Not from ultimaker or AMD. I think it would be great if you could catch your balls and fix the problem. Thank you.

Näyttökuva 2022-01-18 172745.jpg

Näyttökuva 2022-01-18 172823.jpg

Näyttökuva 2022-01-18 173003.jpg

Your posting here is not really helpful, a screenshot and rant about a problem, but not error description, no logs and so on. So nobody will be able to help you.

But you said you have made several error reports. Can you please post the GitHub links from the issues here, then we have a link to them.

And if you have not opened an issue on GitHub then please do it now and provide all the needed infos in the issue template there. https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/new?assignees=&labels=Type%3A+Bug&template=bugreport.yaml

Thanks!

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura CRASHING in every version.

Program is just randomly shutting down and crashing.. I have sent reports to AMD, Ultimaker and reported error to windows also. Got 0 responses. I'm not a big fan of GitHub. Never used it. The companies that make such programs like Ultimaker Cura slicer, should have direct customer service to solve this kind of errors/problems. Currently, reporting 1 error requires 2 different user accounts for 2 different platforms. I find it very impractical. But if this is ultimaker's way to solve issues, then i must make an account for github and open a ticket.. 

Edited by jkonttila

31 minutes ago, jkonttila said:

The companies that make such programs like Ultimaker Cura slicer, should have direct customer service to solve this kind of errors/problems.

For Ultimaker customers there is a direct support, that is usually the Ultimaker reseller of their printer. So if you have an Ultimaker printer, then just direct the question to your reseller.

If you use Cura with a 3rd party printer, then the way to report bugs is GitHub. Cura is open source, GitHub the place where all bugs and features requests are collected. I am not aware of any open source software where the company offers you direct (premium) support for nothing. So be fair and understand that you use Cura for free and that you just have to go the way all other users have to take when reporting a bug. 

The interesting part and that is something I personally don't really understand is, that most of the rants and complains here are coming from users with 3rd party printers. They use the software for free, don't pay anything and then complains here that something is not working or rant about no direct support.

No one is forcing you to use Cura, just use the slicer that meets your needs and if that is Cura, consider it a gift that you can use a great software for free without the company behind it getting a penny from you.

41 minutes ago, jkonttila said:

But if this is ultimaker's way to solve issues, then i must make an account for github and open a ticket.. 

Yes, it is, thanks for your understanding....

If it is crashing randomly in every version, then you might have a hardware problem: memory chips or connections that have gone bad.

Sometimes heavy programs with complex graphic functions do use memory areas or CPU-functions that simple programs never use because they don't need that memory or functions, so only the heavy programs will crash.

A bad graphics driver or card could also be a cause, because graphics cards do a lot of the 3D-calculations.

Software bugs would normally crash in the same way at the same point, if you do the exact same thing. Like in a very old Word-version: if you had spelling checking on, and then you would change font color, it would crash, very repeatably. If spelling checking was off, it never crashed when changing font colors. That is more the behaviour of bugs.

What sometimes helps, is opening the computer (after shutting down and unplugging from mains), and then with compressed air blow all dust away carefully, and wiggle a bit with all memory cards and graphics cards. So the connections are refreshed and oxidation is removed. Be carefull not to damage anything. Do this only if you are familiar with computers. Then switch on and try again. Also verify if your graphics card has a fan, and if that fan is running smoothly. Also check the CPU fan. Using analysing tools, check if chip temperatures of CPU and graphic chips are not getting too hot: a bad fan could also cause such problems. There is no guarantee that this will work, but sometimes it does if the crashes are due to bad or oxidated contacts, bad fans, or false connections due to dust. It will not work if a chip is damaged internally, or in case of a bad driver, of course.

This does not mean that there can't be a bug that affects all Cura-versions, of course. It is just the random aspect that is often a result of hardware problems, rather than software.

PS: I am not related to Ultimaker, just a user.