Cura crashes with "not responding" when attempting to load/save profiles or open menus

Wobberjockey

Posted (edited) · Cura crashes with "not responding" when attempting to load/save profiles or open menus

I had this problem shortly after loading up 4.13, and now it is affecting ALL versions of Cura. I can't use any of them, no matter how often I do a clean install

the issue is this: 

If i attempt to do any sort of modification of my settings,  the program will not launch next load. i never see the UI, just straight to not-responding when loading the build volume. 
if i attempt to save the profile? not responding. 

any subsequent program runs? not responding. 
deleting the Local and roaming Cura folders helps, but again... not responding after the first run. 
if i take too long to slice the model? not responding. 
Right click? not responding. 

at this point i have clean-installed and set up my printer about a dozen times just trying to get a single file to print. it's a race against time  before cura tries to save the profile and necessitates a total reset. 

i tried going back to 4.12.1 after the issue, but the issue is now following me back through versions. I've also tried running as admin, with no success. it is however more stable, and i can slice something... but it pretty quickly falls back into the same loop of not responding. usually after trying to save my settings

i've updated the OS, and both SCF /scannow and the DISM repair commands are coming back clean. 
i've deleted the local and roaming Cura folders

I've even gone so far as to delete all the cura instances out of Program files after uninstalling. 

it is still happening. 

i am really at my wits end here because i have no idea what the application might be doing that's causing this crash. 

edit:

now it's any menu item.  i can't even click 'file'.

cura.log

stderr.log

Edited by Wobberjockey
more logs, better title

• Wobberjockey changed the title to Cura crashes with "not responding" when attempting to load/save profiles or open menus
    Posted · Cura crashes with "not responding" when attempting to load/save profiles or open menus

I am having a similar issue with latest and now previous builds every time I try to open a file, program completely shuts down. No error message nothing, just off. I uninstalled all previous builds, reinstalled and worked for one project, and now back to shutting down.

• 2 months later...
    Posted · Cura crashes with "not responding" when attempting to load/save profiles or open menus

I'm also having this issue and still haven't found any help. This is why I'm finally posting about it.

I'm about ready to give up on Cura all together but this is what I learned on and have all my settings set right.

Does anyone have any ideas to help fix this?

The Chitubox incompatibility is the most common cause of this issue.

Since you don't have that application installed, we are going to have to diagnose other reasons for Cura crashing. First off, please upload and post a link to the Cura.log file, which can be found via Help -> Show configuration folder...

Here's my log.

Running Windows 10 Pro

Ryzen 5 5600x

32GB ram

GTX 1070 Ti

When I was running Cura on my old PC (much slower) it was running ok.

And Cura ran ok when I first installed on the new PC but then it just started freezing up and "not responding" with every click. Even the main menu. I can wait and it will eventually come back until the next click.

Thank you.

cura.log

Have there been any progress in solving the unresponsiveness?

It has almost impossible to use it, my Cura v5 will freeze randomly every 30 seconds for any length of time

@zet this seems to be a problem with certain hardware combinations / configurations.  The Chitubox interference is a well known issue.

Tell us about your computer and operating system, maybe about the video system and how many monitors you use.

Windows 11, Intel i5 9600K, 16Gigs, NVidia 2070, 1 Monitor

I have been using Cura for the past 5 years, last 2 versions been misbehaving like this, I am currently on 5

I have done some research into this problem already, no offending apps present, disabled most Cura plugins, including USB

Under the "Help" menu you will see "Show Configuration Folder".  The "Cura.log" file is in there.  Post the log file here and one of the developers will take a look. ( @rburema ?).

log

cura.log

I'm curious if anyone ever looked at my logs. I've had to resort to setting up an old computer just for Cura. It may be slow but at least it runs on it. Hopefully the issue is figured out soon.

I'm decent with gcode and OK with the slicing side of Cura.  When it comes to issues that might involve operating systems and video subsystems I would be way out of my depth.  The same goes for deciphering Cura.log files.

There are people here who know that side in and out.  They will get to this when they have a chance.  They work on the software as well so you have to wait for them to come up for air.

Well, it's frustrating. I am in the middle of a big project and having to reload Cura literally dozens time a day is a major drag.

Perhaps time to move to Prusa

It's the weekend.  Maybe @ahoeben has a moment?

I'm running Win10 and I've not had any issues like that.

@zet, do you have multiple displays? If so it would be useful to try to disable all but one of them, and see if the same issue still reproduces. If not, then we are closer to identifying the culprit.

Not all issues show up in the logs unfortunately.

• Like 1

I have an AV receiver connected via HDMI which Windows identifies as a display but there is no physical display connected.

I did try disabling it, it did not make any difference

On 7/31/2022 at 1:04 AM, ahoeben said:

@zet, do you have multiple displays? If so it would be useful to try to disable all but one of them, and see if the same issue still reproduces. If not, then we are closer to identifying the culprit.

Not all issues show up in the logs unfortunately.

i noted that this solved my issue. I completely unplugged all but primary monitor and it started upo perfectly. I was having similar side effects as per the main post. Hopefully this helps the next guy

• Like 2

I have had a similar issue with every 5.## version of Cura as well as the Lulzbot edition. If I am docked with a Dell dock via USB C, only Cura 4.## will open and work right. If I'm on anything else, it freezes when loading. Now I'm getting an issue where 5.1 freezes at preferences and won't even get to the main window. I have been searching for a fix to the freezing as it is a common issue between a few different pieces of software. If I ever find out the cause, I'll try and remember to post here. If anyone else figures out the cause, I would love to fix it on mine as well. 

I have a Dell G7 7500 laptop with a 2070 GPU which I think is at least part of the cause given the software crashes when using more than the main monitor. 

It's been a few months now since I moved on to PrusaSlicer as there seem to be no progress in sorting this out.

Tried a new version of Cura today with the same result as before - freezes and becomes unresponsive within a minute.

Certainly not an issue of multiple displays. But even if it was, I wouldn't count the need to disconnect your other monitor(s) as a solution.

Shame.