Convert Gcode File back to STL

bobster316

Posted · Convert Gcode File back to STL

Hi

I have been working on a project to develop a vase for raspberry pi 4. I have the gcode files and needed to make a change to the design.

Unfortunately i cannot find the source STL file. IS it possible to bring the gcode file back into Cura and change it back to an 

STL file so it can be edited and converted back to an STL.

Timeout here @AndersK.  There is no mesh/model in a gcode file...just lines in space.  I don't see any way this can be done.

Typically I "read" the gcode into AutoCad with a macro and then design a new model around the wireframe.  The wire frame is undersized by 1/2 line width in the +X and -X as well as the +Y and -Y and at the base that was resting on the build plate.  That's another of the reasons it can't be converted.

If you want to post the gcode I can turn it into a DXF file (consisting of a lot of lines in space) and post it back.

I said the quality might be bad 😉

Yes youre right, the option is there but it doesnt generate a mesh.

It would be possible though , all information needed is in the code.

Triangulate between the layers and top bottom in that DXF and its there.

When I first found this site and started reading through threads I was amazed at how many bugs Cura was being accused of.  I had not found any and here were these people complaining about it.

In order to take Cura out of the loop I altered a macro I had written years ago to translate CNC gcode files back into lines in AutoCad.  Now, independent of Cura, I can look at a gcode file and really see what's going on.

I've had to re-build models from the gcode data a couple of times.  It isn't any fun.

If one is looking for a robust gcode to stl generation (deslicing) tool, there is a slicer called Voxelizer that has this capability.  It has been my experience that it works well.  More info: https://all3dp.com/2/g-code-to-stl-how-to-convert-g-code-back-to-stl/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Megahurtz said:

If one is looking for a robust gcode to stl generation (deslicing) tool, there is a slicer called Voxelizer that has this capability.  It has been my experience that it works well.  More info: https://all3dp.com/2/g-code-to-stl-how-to-convert-g-code-back-to-stl/

I see they now have an 'experimental' version of this for Linux.  Previously it was for Mac and Win machines only.

I'm downloading it now, and I'll give it a try.  It could come in very handy.

btw. I cant see Voxelizer website

On 26.08.2022 at 15:57, ycusoy said:

кстати. Я не могу видеть веб-сайт Voxelizer

https://zmorph3d.com/software/

Thanks for the link...  Quite surprised by the quality of the result. On the right the original benchy, on the left the model recreated from the Cura Gcode and reintegrated in Cura.

image.thumb.png.aff75c8cee1ffe27883ff0d0bed9882a.png

I have tried to start Voxelizer, both the so-called 'experimental' version for Linux and the Windoze version running under wine, and when I try to register, the site it sends me to fails.

Any hints?

Thanks

I don't know just downloaded the Windows Voxelizer for Fab  version  : https://zmorph3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/voxelizer3.0.0.msi_.zip     No issue in my case.

Then Just Import GCode -> VOXELIZE  PRECISE -> Then Export STL

• Thanks 1

Ok, thanks, let me try that version and see if I can get it to work.

Ok, I got that to load and execute under Wine without any formality, but it wants me to select either of two Zmorph printers, which I assume sets the flavor of gcode that it will reverse.

I don't have a Zmorph printer.  I have the Ultimaker S5 which uses the Griffin gcode and a Prusa I3, which uses the Marlin flavor of gcode.

Are you (or anyone) using this successfully with Ultimaker or Prusa gcode?

Thanks.

Marlin flavor  in my case  but as GCode are mainly different on M Code instruction which should not have any influence on the creation of the final rendering this should not generate any particular problems.