Stop Filling the VOID!!!

Posted · Stop Filling the VOID!!!

Hey there.  I'm rather new to 3D printing.  I was wondering if I could get some help.

I design original files in Blender 2.79b, slice them in Cura 4.3.0, and send them to the printer.  ..At least, that is the plan.

What happens is that I put the exported STL into Cura and that's where things go wrong.

Problem 1) The 1cm*1cm*1cm cube gets enlarged to 1,000,000% bigger. So i resize it to approximately what it should be.

Problem 2) The voids inside the project that should be hollow, are completely filled in. (Example of a simple box attached)

Problem 3) I don't know if Cura is a resource hog or what, but every 3 seconds or so, it freezes my cursor in place for one second, then carries on.

I can't find any help online and I thought y'all could help me out here.  Ty

Expected.jpg

Resulted.jpg

Hi @Navitas,

Problem 1) 

STL files do not define dimensional units, Cura expects all coordinates in mm. Easiest solution: change the units in Blender to mm

In addition: the automatic scaling can be disabled in Cura preferences.

Problem 2)

There's indeed a Cura setting that can cause this: "Mesh Fixes -> Remove All Holes", but that's disabled by default.

More likely: there are overlapping, missing or superfluous (inner) faces in your model. The function "merge by distance" in Blender does usually a good job for such simple models.

Problem 3)

I have no clue...

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Stop Filling the VOID!!!

Thank you @tinkergnome for the reply.  It's closer to where I was before.

P1) I've been putting the dimensions in millimetres already.

P2) That has been plaguing ALL my projects.  I am careful to make sure the projects are all water tight as I build them.  The hole filling setting is probably the issue.

P3) I think it's my PC not keeping up.

Thank you again

Edit: I verified Cura and the hole fill in option wasn't checked. 😞

Edited by Navitas

20 hours ago, Navitas said:

That has been plaguing ALL my projects.  I am careful to make sure the projects are all water tight as I build them.

If you would share some of the stl-files - we can verify this 🙂