z seam position

broty

Posted · z seam position

CFFFP_WINGTEST_profile3.gcodewing test cura 4.12.curaprofile

hello, 

trying to print properly some test for a plane.

problem is as follow: even if the Z-seam is defined (back left or right) , during some parts of the print (deposit lines 20 to 30) the seam move to other places.

included the sliced model and the cura profile

thanks already

Chris

Posted · z seam position

Because you have ArcWelder enabled - Cura can't preview the Gcode file.  I can read the Gcode into AutoCad but it doesn't show me were the Z seam is.

With the model loaded and Cura set up to slice - use the "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf file.

Posted · z seam position
    1 hour ago, GregValiant said:

Because you have ArcWelder enabled - Cura can't preview the Gcode file.  

To clarify this a bit: Cura does not understand the G2/G3 Arc movements that are inserted by the ArcWelder plugin. The normal preview is not affected by this; in the normal preview, Cura just shows the original linear moves. The Arcs are only getting Welded when saving the gcode file. When you load the gcode back in, Cura will have a problem visualizing the moves.

Posted (edited) · z seam position

hello, thanks already for this help.

the arc welder (G2/G3) was just another try, but it does not change anything. I'll prepare and load the file without arc welder "ON". I'll also attach the STL file I want to print.

I will also screen copy the Cura preview to show that the origin of a layer is sometimes anywhere.

This is with "back right" position of the Z seeam

image.png.ce4ba46550d5aa863cf698070bcb7beb.png

and here with the back left

image.png.142c25756df5af6fff6eb07a1de347c0.png

now it also make some strange behaviour at the top part

image.png.3b060571ad44fe5ef7eb1c86a5245530.png

WINGTEST_profile3.3mf L wing test.curaprofile WINGTEST_profile3.stl

Edited by broty

Posted · z seam position
    13 hours ago, broty said:

the arc welder (G2/G3) was just another try, but it does not change anything.

This is correct; ArcWelder can not change the z seam. It just converts multiple consecutive G0/G1 moves to arc. Anything that would create a "seam" would also break the arc.

Posted · z seam position

Changing 'seam corner preference' to none  seems to help keep the starts on the same corner

hello, thank you for the help and clarifications.

very strange behaviour any way, if we need to to select "none" (z seam position) to get it on the same place. 😞

I'l try that anyway to see the result.

Will let you know more and come with the next level of questions.

Thanks again

Edited by broty

Posted · z seam position

Even more strange, when i slice your stl with my profile, hide seam works ok as well.

PI3_WINGTEST_profile3test.3mf

hello, thanks for your help.

on my side, trying with Z seam "none" gives this result.

image.thumb.png.4a77499e80bc288b486c88cdad9531f4.png

when opening your file , this is the result on my PC after slicing.

aside is the Z seam parameter used to slice and you can see that the seam is showing the same problem at the level of the hole

image.thumb.png.076f9b1c3dd6a37eb82b5303a23a9f94.png

Thank you so much for your time

what sould I do to see your model without slicing, just to compare the result? "open as project" or "import model"?

Regards, Chris

Edited by broty

Posted · z seam position

hello,

and another "strange" behaviour

image.thumb.png.d80be310e48d072be51ebd7c0b550bc7.png

As you can see in this screen copy, there are plenty of "travels" while the summary says 00.00 min and 0.0%

I'm less confident with this 4.13.1 version of cura. And Arachne is even worst (but it is a Beta), making "extra walls" when not even showing them.

What is supposed to be a reliable version??? or should I go to Prusia? 😞  Then I'll have to learn the philosofy of it and I'm not ready to do so. Mabe one of my parameters are not OK for Cura (or my printer is not ready for Cura - it is a Magma 350 direct drive, with micro swiss head) unhappily the maker of it goes bankrupt last fall, so no more support there.

Thanks again for your help

Chris

Posted · z seam position

Within that particular model are 9 pieces.  In particular, the curved ribs on the inside are not connected to the top or bottom of the wing.  There will be starts and stops on those pieces because there is no continuity with the other pieces.  Those Z seam indicators on the wing bottom are starts and stops because of the internal pieces.  In those cases it may be because the combination of two single walls coming together don't make it clear which one should take precedence.

(I tried to slice it in PrusaSlicer, but I don't know enough about it to get the settings dialed in.  There were missing parts and missing layers.)

hello, thank you for your effort.

Yes I knew there are 9 pieces but looking how the parts are printed it does not matter for the outside wall.

so with mesh tools I removed all what I can (no more inside ribs and no more support around the back round hole

With the back left seam here is what I get

image.png.550996f71936862f52bb54e633923904.png

And with the right back seam it is here

image.png.b0e2449a7c4b7b519af6526c126d57ee.png

So, still no real change to the previous version with the 9 separate parts.

Attached the 3mf file

Again thank you so much for your time

Chris

PI3b_WINGTEST_profile3.3mf

Edited by broty

I took another stab at it.  It still isn't going to look like monokote though.

GV_WINGTEST_profile3.3mf

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · z seam position

Hello Greg and again thank you for your time

so you are also doing RC planes? Monokote is not a name known everywhere 🙂

May I ask again? what should I do with the 3MF file? does it also contain the parameters or should I use mines?

What I see is looking the same with the seam at the back right. So only around the hole level (15 to 

What sould I do to see your model without slicing, just to compare the result? "open as project" or "import model"?

Also,depending on completely unrelated parameters the deposit is done once in clockwise direction, and  if I change some completely unrelated parameter it pass into counter clockwise direction. Also it change printing direction around the back hole. Having always the same printing direction is important to have the same "fault" (excess or missing filament) on the same place (same as the  z seam)

Thanks again

Posted · z seam position

When you open a 3mf project file it will have a printer, the model, and all the Cura settings.  As I recall my 3mf file is the one you posted with a couple of changes I made to try and come up with what you are looking for.  Then I saved it with a different name.  It has your printer and model with mostly your settings.

I open a lot of 3mf files.  I always choose "Install New" rather than allowing Cura to alter my printer, profile, or material.  About once a week I have to go through and clean out the clutter of Bibo's, Voron's, UM printers, 10 Ender 3's, whatever.

Somebody from the Cura team ( @nallath?) will have to address how Cura figures a path.  I only know that it's complicated.

• Like 1

Posted · z seam position

hello Greg

I made it. Now I have to analyse what you changed to get this good result.

thanks also for the good advice about the imported profiles.

Will check and print to see the benefit.

thanks again,

Chris

Posted · z seam position

Man.  That goes all the way back to yesterday.  I can't remember exactly what I changed but it wasn't much.  I think it was mostly things in the travel settings.  I might have moved the Layer Start position to coincide with the Z seam position.  That keeps combing moves to a minimum.  Start there.  I don't recall changing the walls, top/bottom, speeds, or any of that stuff.

You can start a second instance of Cura that has my file open in it, and the first instance of Cura with your file open.  Then you can go back and forth between them.  You could also save my settings as a Profile.  That way you would be able to select it when you are doing plane models.

hello Greg

good advice. usually, I open all parameters and make screen copy then paste it a word document with 2 columns so I can compare exactly.

In windows there is a nice function: press at the same time "windosw" "shift" "s" this bring you an easy screen grab sizable with the mouse . 🙂

Thanks so much for your help.

Another question if I still may ?

in the pictures below, at the corners there is some extra quantity of material when printing.

I tried to modify some parameters to reduce that, but then I have holes just after that place.

Any idea or suggestion?

thank you so much.

image.png.8519146f1fb6ffee487af5cee14d21b3.png

image.png.63a4d2dbcbc3c2e62311968074e9ce10.png

by the way what kind of motor cycle is in your profile? the motor looks like a "honda golden 4" but the rest of the bike looks like something different . Beautiful to say the least 🙂 

Which country are you in? I'm in Belgium.

Edited by broty

Posted · z seam position

Those blobs are at the start and end of extrusions.  What is your retraction distance, your retract and prime speeds, and do you have "Retraction Extra Prime Amount" checked in Cura, and what nozzle are you using?

Nice call on the bike.  1978 Goldwing...mostly.  Some BMW parts, 1 Jaguar part, some Harley parts, 1959 Cadillac tail lights, 1960s' Weber IDF's from Alpha Romeo.  The only 3d printed part is something I just finished...the Ipod mount.

The bike is quick.

This one is not.  It does have over 50 printed parts though.  The only thing it has in common with the Wing is that they both have fishing rod carriers.

902015969_ABike1.thumb.JPG.964f3d8097d8952d556291e0f1fd5210.JPG