Material Station chewing up filament

drewsan21

Posted · Material Station chewing up filament

I have an Ultimaker S5 with a material station. My extruder number 1 works great. All the different bays for extruder 2 chew up my filament about 8 or so inches into the material feeder. I took apart the material station and made sure there was no filament broken off in the tubes, but still have same problem.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Drew

I have an S5 but not the MS.  My best guess is you are printing PVA and the filament has absorbed water.  Even though you have humidity control for the PVA, it's enough to keep it dry but not to dry it once it absorbs water.  The next time you do a PVA print look in cura how many meters you need, then unspool that mount, put it on the heated bed under the spool and set the bed to 70C for 4 hours (or overnight).  Put a towel or blanket or some cardboard over it.  Then try that filament and see if your grinding goes away.

Or if it's not PVA and not Nylon then try printing the second core slower.  Just go into the TUNE menu while it's printing and you can lower the speed for only the second core to 50%.  If that fixes it then maybe you just need to get a new core for the right slot.

8 hours ago, drewsan21 said:

I have an Ultimaker S5 with a material station. My extruder number 1 works great. All the different bays for extruder 2 chew up my filament about 8 or so inches into the material feeder. I took apart the material station and made sure there was no filament broken off in the tubes, but still have same problem.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Drew

When you say, "Took apart the material station" have you just checked the tubes only? Have you checked the feed system under the station? (black plastic moulded part).

The only reason I ask, is that we have had a problem whereby, PVA had broken off inside the feed system and was causing errors on certain feeders. i.e. feeder 1 will take one route through the system (which happens to be clear, whereas feeder 3 (for instance) would take a different route which is blocked. 

Feeding in 8 inches then erroring out, suggests it may be this.

Taking apart is a bit of a pain, but it's worth doing / checking.

• Like 1

I once had the same problem. In my case is was the black feeding system @Carbon mentioned. In an eralier print some filament piece broke off and got stuck.

When the station tried to get the new filament in the feeding system the pressure got so big the two shells of the feeding system were pushed apart and the filament was curled up in the free areas in the station and did not reach the feeder.

same as above, i had to take it all apart and flip it over to manually push out broken PLA and it was fine again.
    The material station is the bane of my life currently, wish i hadnt bothered as i spend half my time trying to work around its annoyances.