S5 Hangs on boot

AddMan

Posted · S5 Hangs on boot

Hi All,

For a while now I've had issues with my S5 getting stuck on startup when switched on. It goes through the normal flashing of the LED's and screen changes, but ultimately gets stuck with the Ultimaker logo on the screen and never completes it's startup. 

It doesn't happen all the time, typically with every second or third startup, and it always works with a restart. This has spanned a number of program updates, and has currently been updated to the latest version and it has just frozen once again.

Is anybody else having similar issues? 

Thanks.

Yes.  Many people get this particular issue with older printers.  It's usually the "hard drive" which is a solid state drive built into the computer board.  The board is made by Olimex - it's a red circuit board.  Anyway I recommend you try to avoid updates if you get this working as updates write so many gigabytes to the hard drive that hitting a bad part of the "hard drive" is more likely and you are more likely to have problems like this.

Anyway here are some unbricking instructions:

http://gr5.org/unbricking/

And in there is also a link back to the forums which I'd start with.

Thanks for the reply gr5.

What is considered old?!! My machine is less than 2 years old. If it's a common problem then I would consider this a design fault. Is there solution offered by Ultimaker?

Avoiding updates is not a solution, surely the machine should be able to cope with this, especially as we're constantly encouraged to do these??!!

☹️

Less than 2 years old is not all that old.  So hopefully your internal "hard drive" is fine and you just need to do the unbricking procedure.  Did you try it?  Are you back up and running?  Did you already have a uSD card?  Did you talk to your reseller about where to get the image file to put on the uSD?

Hey gr5,

Sorry for the late reply.

I didn't end up doing the unbricking. I ended up contacting my local agent and they also identified the main board as the culprit which I had replaced. So far so good.

Thanks for all your help as always 🙂

Cheers,

Alex.

No problem!  It's a time/money tradeoff.  Are you willing to spend 4 hours (or more) using the unbricking techniques that can get around bad blocks on your main board or are you willing to just buy a new board.

My S5 did this yesterday when updating from 6.2.1 to 7.0.2

It popped up on the screen saying an update was available, so I initiated it.

Is this something I need to contact UM customer service for?

VERY Frustrated

3 hours ago, cyclepath said:

My S5 did this yesterday when updating from 6.2.1 to 7.0.2

It popped up on the screen saying an update was available, so I initiated it.

Is this something I need to contact UM customer service for?

VERY Frustrated

I rebooted it 4 times and the first 3 times it sat on the ultimaker screen for ~30 min before I rebooted it again. The 4th time it booted up properly

Hi cyclepath,

Yes it is very stressful, especially if you need to get a job going. You probably don't need to wait 30 mins, I would give it 5 mins or so and it was obvious it had hung.

According to gr5 this can be caused by problems with the solid state drive. My problem was not as dramatic as yours, I would fail boot up once in every 2 or 3 startups, but it always started on the second try. From what I understand it's only likely to be an issue if you do an upgrade and it possibly writes to a bad sector. Not doing updates is an option, but I didn't consider this a solution, especially over time.

I think you have two choices, replace the main board that has the SSD or try gr5's unbricking procedure that he has a link to earlier in this post. This would at least isolate the bad sectors, and is a cheaper option than replacing the board.

How old is your Ultimaker?

AddMan