Flat 3d prints

Vima81

Posted · Flat 3d prints

Hi I have a question.

I'm completely new to 3d printing and I'm still trying it out a bit. I recently got an Ultimaker 2. I bought this second-hand and it works great. now I did have a question. If you print a flat object, I can't get it off the hearing plate cleanly. Does anyone have any tips on how I can do this properly. I now use a palette knife and set the heating plate to 100 degrees. But I can't get it off nicely. I also saw something like a flexible mat but I don't know if that is what it is.

I hope someone can help me.

Posted (edited) · Flat 3d prints

Hi! I assume that you are using a glass buildplate. In that case, I'd recommend actually letting the build plate cool down to room temperature. Buildplate adhesion becomes a problem either when it is too good or too weak, although it is much better to have good adheasion!

To easily remove large, flat surfaces I'd recommend either getting a spatula, although your palette knife will work well. Another solution that I often have to use is using an snap off blade targeted at the corners.

A solution to bed-adhesion is using a flexible build plate, although I am sadly not sure if it is a solution regarding your Ultimaker 2 printer.

Your best regards,

Oskar 

Edited by Ogge500
    • Thanks 1

Posted · Flat 3d prints

I found this out from Scott Yu-Jan,

Water works really well. Carefully spray some or pour a few ml's near the print surface and give it some time. Due to capillary forces, the water goes under the print and it unsticks.

Ley me know how it goes for you 😉

• Thanks 1

Posted · Flat 3d prints

Always use a thin (or thicker) layer of glue stick. This helps on one hand to increase the adhesion during printing, but on the other hand the object can be better removed from the glass when everything has cooled down. 

For PLA bare glass can work too, but when you print for example with PETG you will not get off your object anymore when the base is flat and bigger without a layer of glue stick (or something like that) between the glass and your object.

Putting the glass with your print into the freezer can also help.

• Thanks 1