Huge underextrusion?

Flutelab

Posted · Huge underextrusion?

Hi, I am printing with tPLA on my S3. Used to go fine until I tried to print this. Been pulling out my hairs all day. I set temp to 225, and initial layer height at 0.15. (tried other heights too, nothing works), Supports everywhere, brim. With hand leveling the first layer does not attach, with active leveling is mostly does. But after that I get only a few poor little sprigs instead of harmonica support structure. Could anyone tell me what's going on? Filament is original UM.

Thanks, Maarten

P1140947.JPG

Hi @Flutelab,

welcome in here!

When I first look at the picture you added, I'd realized that Cura is set to an UM3 printer, -not an UM S3!

So first, configure -select an UM S3 printer and things might look better..

Anyway, we do not know the object you're trying to print, so please save the "project file" and attache it here, then "someone" can have a look at your problem and give you some advice if needed.

Just go to; "file", then select save "project" and attach it here.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

Based on how nice the brim looks, I would guess that it's some CURA setting that is messing things up.  Also, just gonna guess but when I see a brim like that I think D&D figurine.  Don't know why.  But if this is a person with a relatively small footprint, then you should focus on the print settings for your supports.  Are you using towers for supports?  Possibly that might help since the support tower has a bigger footprint and will adhere better in theory. Also there is a setting for "equalize filmament flow" which might be relevant if you have very fine features in your model.  I am not exactly an expert, so I'm interested to hear what others here think about these suggestions.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:21 PM, Torgeir said:

Hi @Flutelab,

welcome in here!

When I first look at the picture you added, I'd realized that Cura is set to an UM3 printer, -not an UM S3!

So first, configure -select an UM S3 printer and things might look better..

Anyway, we do not know the object you're trying to print, so please save the "project file" and attache it here, then "someone" can have a look at your problem and give you some advice if needed.

Just go to; "file", then select save "project" and attach it here.

Thanks

Torgeir

Hi Torgeir,

I realise I was wrong about s3. hadnt realised as such they were different printers.  But I do have an Ultimaker 3, and Cura is set to UM3, so that's in order. I have attached the project. so you can have a look.

regards, Maarten

SN project.3mf

13 hours ago, gdog said:

Based on how nice the brim looks, I would guess that it's some CURA setting that is messing things up.  Also, just gonna guess but when I see a brim like that I think D&D figurine.  Don't know why.  But if this is a person with a relatively small footprint, then you should focus on the print settings for your supports.  Are you using towers for supports?  Possibly that might help since the support tower has a bigger footprint and will adhere better in theory. Also there is a setting for "equalize filmament flow" which might be relevant if you have very fine features in your model.  I am not exactly an expert, so I'm interested to hear what others here think about these suggestions.

Hi gdog, thanks fot your input, but no figurine here. It's quite a large object, no figurine. I only added the brim because I had adhesion problems in earlier attempts with this print.

I am ordering some fresh material as the filament could be the problem. Been printing abjects like this fore years, but I just changed to another roll of filament whach had been out of its package for a while.

thanks anyway, Maarten

Hi Maarten,

This is not the easiest thing to print for sure. 🙂

A spool of though PLA with no seal for some time -may have attracted water.

When printing a filament with too much water, the flow can vary widely and can sometimes be spit out.

Such filament need to be dried for some time, so I'll assume that a fresh roll of TPLA will do the trick..

I'm using a food drier to dry out water from such affected filament.

I'm also storing filament rolls into a sealed storage box, containing silica bags and a blue tooth moisture meter.

Have several boxes like this and working very well.

Good Luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Hi Torgeir

I keep all my filaments in a closed box,  in wchich I also throw all by bags of silica gel.

But I solved it. 1. installed laters firmware, 

2 found the filament had been grinding because I set the 1st layer height too low, so removed that langth of filament

3 cleanied out the printcore.

4. I am printing again!

have a nice day and thanks Torgeir, just when you want to bang your head on the wall, a helpfull community really gives peace of mind.

cheers, Maarten

• Like 2