Disable USB Printing

rskoog

Posted · Disable USB Printing

We have an Ultimaker S3 for rapid prototyping within our team. Our printer is in an office space, out in the open. We've been running into an issue where other teams have been using our printer and jumping the Digital Factory queue by USB printing. 

Is there a way to disable the USB print feature on the S3?

We would like to make it so the only way to print is through Digital Factory. 

Afaik the firewall only blocks internal network prints atm but not the USB port.

I would probably use a seal sticker on the front panel.

A more radical approach would be to disconnect the USB connector from the mainboard. For that you would have to open the bottom of your S3. You would do that in your own responsibility.

Ideally, it would be nice if there was a way to disable it in software either from Digital Factory or from the settings menu on the device's screen that is already locked via PIN. 

I wasn't aware of USB port blockers with keys so I'll have to give that a look.

I'd also thought about physically disconnecting the USB port from the mainboard but that seemed a little extreme. If we ever needed to use the USB port, for whatever reason, it would become a hassle.