Ultimaker S5 screen freeze on launch

AlexNammuTech

Posted · Ultimaker S5 screen freeze on launch

Greetings Ultimaker community,

We use four Ultimaker S5s for parts and accessories that our company sell. We have recently run into a problem with one of said printers.

As the title suggests, when we turn on the printer (it was left turned off for an hour beforehand to make sure it was completely shut down) the lights turn on and off a few times over the course of about a minute, during this time the Ultimaker logo appears on the screen, and that's as far as it gets, the screen continues to display the logo and nothing else. We've attempted shutting down and turning the machine back on about 5-6 times at this point, but always end up in the same place.

My questions:

- Unfortunately this printer won't connect to Cura before getting past the logo appearing on the screen , but is it possible to plug a laptop in via the usb or ethernet ports and force a software update, allowing us to see if the problem is purely software related and potentially fix the issue? Also, is it possible to completely reinstall the software from scratch using the proposed method above? Something like a factory reset?

-If the above is not possible in any shape or form, has anyone come across this issue before? And what, if any, conclusions were you able to draw?

Would really appreciate any kind of help or input available.

Cheers,

Alex

So you have quite a few options.  You can connect an HDMI cable to a monitor to get more details about what is going on or better yet get the olimex serial F cable and then you can definitely see exactly what is going on and you can type in certain commands which might fix the issue.

Start here:

http://gr5.org/unbricking/   (instructions related to UM3/S3/S5 are all basically the same).

Within that page there is a link back to the forum which has the uSD fix which I would try first.  meanwhile perhaps order the olimex-serial-f cable mentioned on my web page.   There are many USB-to-serial cables that should work but I'd get the olimex one to be sure and it's not expensive.

Direct message me or email me if the uSD method doesn't work and you have questions about the error messages you see through the serial cable that aren't already answered in the web page above.  I keep updating that page.