Nozzle size options in Cura (4.13.1)

Noobalicious

Posted · Nozzle size options in Cura (4.13.1)

I'm using a LK5 Pro, the nozzle drop down box only gives me the 0.4mm option. In machine settings there isn't an option to change it in there either. I am under the impression that this printer is basically a copy of a CR-10S, which DOES give me nozzle size options. Seems there are g-code differences between Longer and Creality that would cause problems. Or is there a way to ,make a completely custom printer profile where I could set these options?

This is due to how the LK5 Pro definition is created. It says the printer has "a set of different nozzle sizes" for which it should include profiles, but then it only includes a profile for a single nozzle size. Had the creator of the printer definition just said that there are no nozzle-specific profiles, then you could have selected any size nozzle you wanted.

You can add your printer as a Custom FFF Printer, and have full freedom over nozzle size, number of extruders and more.

I created a Custom FFF Printer, copied over the start and end g-codes and other info. Now instead of having a dropdown box with only one nozzle option, I have no dropdown box at all.

Posted (edited) · Nozzle size options in Cura (4.13.1)
    47 minutes ago, Noobalicious said:

Now instead of having a dropdown box with only one nozzle option, I have no dropdown box at all.

Correct. But now you can set the nozzle size in the Machine Settings dialog.

Edited by ahoeben

So, something odd. With the custom printer my print will supposedly get done in half the time as oppsed to the factory file for the LK5. There must be some setting out of whack. All the print settings I know are the same. Admittedly I don't know much.

Posted (edited) · Nozzle size options in Cura (4.13.1)

A lot of things can effect the print time.  If you can post a project file (File | Save Project) it may have some clues in it.  Actually, if you can post a slow project file and a fast project file using the same model then that would be best.

Edited by GregValiant

@Noobalicious,

There is nothing wrong with what you made. This is a problem that happen to all users who made own profiles from scratch. It have to do with default values the developer of Cura made. You need to check the machine settings for your new printer profile and set them to the values your printer uses in the firmware.

Install the plugin Printer Settings from Marketplace in Cura. It will give you the freedom to review/change those settings in Cura for your printer profile. These are the value Cura use for calculating the print time.

Use a tool like Pronterface or Putty and send the gcode command M503 for reporting those firmware settings. Look for all machine_max_feedrate and _acceleration settings and correct them in your own printer profile. Ideally they should match to what the firmware values are.

Also check what values are in the original profile (longer_base.def.json and longer_lk5pro.def.json in c:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.13.1\resources\definitions\ ).

And don't forgot to save first your profiles before you made changes with the plugin Printer Settings as you can easily screw up a profile with this plugin.