Does Changing Material Diameter Affect Anything?

Jdong1

Posted · Does Changing Material Diameter Affect Anything?

Hello all,

So recently I wanted to use cura to adjust the material diameter from 2.85 mm to 1.75 mm but cura doesn't allow me. I read some articles how others change it from 2.85 mm to 1.75 mm but there method didn't work for me. I also saw that cura isn't compatible with 1.75 mm material filament.  

The first method I read was to change the settings under the material property (I attached an image to this post), I created a custom material property and changed the material diameter but it always defaults back to 2.85 mm. The second method that I tried is to go directly into the print settings and change the material dimeter there, but it doesn't show on my print settings. I have all my settings visible and can't find it. (I have also attached screenshots to show this)

So the real question is does changing the material diameter in Cura affect anything in the 3D print? Logically thinking it would, but I'm not sure how the cura software is set up.

Thank you,

John D.

1.75mm to 2.85 mm (my cura settings).JPG

1.75mm to 2.85 mm Post.JPG

Material Diameter Settings.JPG

The E values in a gcode file are in "mm of filament" and the diameter determines the area of the cross section and so determines the volume of 1mm of filament.  1.75 filament is 2.405mm³/mm and 2.85 filament is 6.379mm³/mm.  A big difference there and you would severely under-extrude if you sliced for 2.85 and printed with 1.75.

I think you can create a custom material based on a generic material.  Then you can change the diameter.  @Smithy and/or @gr5 will know how to adjust for that.  Another option might be to switch to Volumetric extrusion (but I'm not an Ultimaker guy and I could be wrong about that).

3 hours ago, Jdong1 said:

I also saw that cura isn't compatible with 1.75 mm material filament.  

That's not correct there are tons of printers with 1,75mm filament and they all work fine with Cura.

I think I haven't understood the problem. You have a printer with 1,75 mm filament, then you also have normally a printer profile for it and if not you have to create one with the custom FFF printer. There you should have the filament diameter and there you set it to 1,75.

So in my opinion you don't have to touch the material profile, you have to tell Cura that your printer is using 1,75 filament and that is done in the printers profile machine settings.

4 hours ago, Jdong1 said:

The second method that I tried is to go directly into the print settings and change the material dimeter there, but it doesn't show on my print settings. I have all my settings visible and can't find it. (I have also attached screenshots to show this)

One additional note:

Be aware that your first picture shows Ultimaker Cura, while the second picture shows a LuizBot "adoption" of an older Cura version. Consider the second one as a different piece of software especially modified for LuizBot printers.

• Like 1