Setting in one profile messing up setting in another profile

Mechatron127

Posted · Setting in one profile messing up setting in another profile

Hi,

For my 3D slicing I use only Cura.

I have noticed that if I create a couple of profiles and I make changes to profile A and then go to profile B I mess up profile B with changes intended for profile A only.

Is there a way to stop this? It's completely unexpected as I don't grasp the logic in this approach and I have lost more than 1 good profiles so far. People forget to save prior to changing profiles so you will either lose the settings in the current profile or mess up the one you are activating.

Or is there something I completely miss?

You have "unsaved" changes and "saved" changes. By default, if you have unsaved changes and switch a profile, Cura asks you what you want to do; Either keep the unsaved changes or discard them.

There is also a preference that you can set where it won't ask you every time you do this, but pick either of these two options. I assume that that is what you set. If you want to change that behavior, you can find it in preferences (general page)

Posted (edited) · Setting in one profile messing up setting in another profile

Hi,

Maybe I don't understand it yet but if you forget to save the changes to the current profile and switch to another you have lost the changes for the current profile, you then only have the option to save the changes to the profile you want to enter. 

I expect to get the option to save the changes to the profile the changes were made in, the option to save it to the profile to be opened for me is of no use. I want to do that manually, if needed, as that gives more control over the changes.

I have not discovered the logic in this and thus I still mess up more than once switching profiles which is a real pain. 

I have for example printed a couple of plastic bearings to tune the horizontal expansion on the in and outside. Now I have lost the values for that and can start over again.

Edited by Mechatron127

I really don't understand what you mean, sorry.

Could you write out, step by step, what you do. Then write out, step by step what happens and then (step by step) what you think should happen.

Good morning!

Please Help!  I'm having the same (or a similar) problem with my profiles.  I'm new to 3D printing and have searched countless YouTube videos and websites to find this answer but to no avail.

I have tried to tweak a profile but when I switch to another profile it asks me to keep or discard changes.  When I choose to keep changes and switch to a different profile, those changes have also changed the second profile. 

For example:

I change the Standard print quality profile Material Printer setting to 205 (from 200).  I then click on the Low Quality profile and notice that it's printer temperature has also changed to 205 from 200, which is what I don't want.  When I click from profile to profile it continues to ask me if I want to keep or discard changes.  If I keep them, it changes all profiles.

To try to alleviate this, I changed the setting to Keep and Never Ask Me Again.  However, this doesn't fix the issue.  When I change the temperature setting in one profile it changes all of them.  

How can I tweak one profile without changing the settings in another profile.

Thank you for any help I your can provide.

17 hours ago, bdaustin55 said:

I have tried to tweak a profile but when I switch to another profile it asks me to keep or discard changes.

That means you have not "stored" the changes you made into a profile. So you have changes, but you have not saved them.

By choosing to "keep" your changes when switching to another profile, these are carried over to that other profile. Either store the changes you made in the profile you made the changes to, or discard the changes,