flexible hook

aag

Posted · flexible hook

I have designed a very sturdy holder for my phone for the handlebars of my mountain bike. Lots of jumps are involved, hence things have to be really solid. See the design at grabcad.

The problem concerns the holder for my bike glasses. I was thinking of creating a flexible hook that would hold the glasses in place by compression. The current design however is too rigid and won't secure the glass sufficiently. I was wondering whether you might have any advice on improving the design.

.image.thumb.png.1f1b0a9cee1d7573893359c6ea09d0f5.pngimage.thumb.png.8de0b24637b92088580dc285a83b45b6.pngimage.thumb.png.5c621398d190eb6d57e6e2c34f1ffc23.png

Posted (edited) · flexible hook

Can you not grip the "nose" piece (bridge) of the glasses, instead of trying to grip both arms?

The current design, what material are you using? TPU?

Edited by Carbon

Posted · flexible hook

Probably not what you are looking for, but: what about an elastic cord to hang the glasses around your neck, in grandma style? This will have less risk of dropping the glasses while driving. You can find them in most shops that carry cheap reading glasses.

3D-prints probably won't give enough grip to securely hold the glasses, unless you would use rubber inserts in the design. If you want a 3D-printed holder, I would suggest you first go look for suitable rubber inserts, or pieces rubber piping that fit around the ears of your glasses. And then design the rest of the holder around those rubber inserts? Silicone rubber usually gives very good grip.

If you would go for rubber inserts, you might as well use one for clamping the holders around the bike frame. 3D-printed clamps don't hold very well: they do not have enough friction, and they tend to deform soon ("creep deformation"). So a rubber insert to add friction and buffer the creep deformation could greatly help.