Please help i am new and want to learn

Posted · Please help i am new and want to learn
31 minutes ago, chickenschmitty said:

i cant seem to properly download and transfer the prints.

What have you tried, and where do you get stuck?

Okay so you need to use a slicer.  You want to export from tinkercad as an STL file.  Did you do that step?

Then you need to install Cura which converts a CAD model (STL file) into a gcode file.  You have to choose a few things like how thick the layers should print.  I recommend 0.2mm for first attempt.

If Cura isn't producing a gcode file then show us a screenshot of where things go wrong or even better maybe show a short 10 second video screen capture of you trying to load the STL into cura and trying to slice it.

i basically havent learned how to splice i guess. 

but those error messages are new i think

If Cura is already running, you cannot run the installer again because the installer will not be able to replace files that are in use. But if you are already running Cura, you should not have to run the installer again.

Anytime you get that type of error in windows, it means exactly what it says.  The file could not be written.  Sometimes you just don't have access but usually it means the file is in use.  As ahoeben says you are probably running cura.  Or something else.

What I often do is try to delete the file it is trying to overwrite and if I can't then I start closing programs that might be using those files.  Eventually when I am able to delete the file I know that I can hit the "retry" button that you showed us and the installation can proceed.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with Cura specifically - this happens with ALL SOFTWARE that you may decide to install.  So you could have googled this type of error and gotten the same advice.

Anyway back to your issue.  So you installed cura.  What did you try next?  Maybe you need to watch some youtube videos on how to use cura?

Posted (edited) · Please help i am new and want to learn

okay ill continue researching myself.

Edited by chickenschmitty
    not helpful

It's hard to help you when we really have almost zero idea of how far you got and where you are stuck.  You need to explain what works and what doesn't work.  It's like you tell us you can't get to work and we are like... um "do you own a car?" and you don't answer that and instead say "well I don't use a bike!".  And we are like "okay I think he might need a map or maybe he is having car trouble?  not sure where to start".

To reiterate what we already said.  If you got those errors you posted earlier then you successfully installed cura already and you are trying to do it a second time but cura is still running.  These are really not 3d printing issues, these are basic windows issues (how to stop software from running [hint - task manager is one way], how to locate a program that is already running[taskbar or taskmanager] ).

One possible issue is that you are installing cura and launching cura but it never becomes visible?  You never said this so this is just a guess (I'm thinking why else would he install cura twice?).  Give us a hint of what you are experiencing.  Am I on the right track?

Or is Cura running just fine and it is some other issue you are having?

Help us to help you.

• Like 1