Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Printer moving extremely extremely slow - no idea why

Posted · Printer moving extremely extremely slow - no idea why

For some reason my creality ender 5 printer (when printing a model) moves extremely slow...like 1 mms slow. When doing normal move commands, homing, creating bed mesh it runs normal speed. It was working fine for months. I flashed the firmware and this started. However, this firmware was configured flashed dozens of times over that month without issue. I'm also suspicious of cura causing the issue but I've been using it without issue for months and I made no changes to it that I remember.

Does anyone have any idea how this could be happening?

Gcode for test print I was trying to run : https://pastebin.com/wZV8JJ3R

Here is my marlin config : https://pastebin.com/UGy6TZ9s + adv : https://pastebin.com/YmLjvSCG

Thanks for any help you can provide

This is the first extrusion at the start of the skirt:

G1 F600 X293.558 Y133.875 E0.02713

later in the file there is a travel move and then

G1 F600 X259.268 Y209.955 E182.36614

So the print speed is 10mm/sec.

There are a couple of things to look at.  In the cooling section the "Minimum Layer Time" will cause Cura to slow down the print speed in order to allow the layer to cool.  In the case of something like a spire, or the smokestack on a Benchy the Minimum Speed will come into play.

If there is an M220 in your StartUp Gcode it will affect the speed.  M220 S100 will insure that a print always starts at 100% of the speeds dictated by the gcode.  M220 S50 would tell the printer to cut all the speeds of the gcode to 50%.

To the right of the Setting Search box is the Settings Visibility button.  Click on it and set the visibility to "All".  Then go down to the speed section and see if something is set low.

You can also post a project file here ("File | Save Project") and all your settings will be in the file.

Do you use the {speed_travel} replacement pattern in your start gcode? If so, don't. Cura inserts the number that is configured in the interface, which is specified in mm/s. Marlin expects the number to be in mm/min. So the number that gets inserted if you use {speed_travel} in your start gcode snippet is 60 times lower than the number that you would expect.