Printer moving extremely extremely slow - no idea why

hendr1x

Posted · Printer moving extremely extremely slow - no idea why

For some reason my creality ender 5 printer (when printing a model) moves extremely slow...like 1 mms slow. When doing normal move commands, homing, creating bed mesh it runs normal speed. It was working fine for months. I flashed the firmware and this started. However, this firmware was configured flashed dozens of times over that month without issue. I'm also suspicious of cura causing the issue but I've been using it without issue for months and I made no changes to it that I remember.

Does anyone have any idea how this could be happening?

Gcode for test print I was trying to run : https://pastebin.com/wZV8JJ3R

Here is my marlin config : https://pastebin.com/UGy6TZ9s + adv : https://pastebin.com/YmLjvSCG

Thanks for any help you can provide

This is the first extrusion at the start of the skirt:

G1 F600 X293.558 Y133.875 E0.02713

later in the file there is a travel move and then

G1 F600 X259.268 Y209.955 E182.36614

So the print speed is 10mm/sec.

There are a couple of things to look at.  In the cooling section the "Minimum Layer Time" will cause Cura to slow down the print speed in order to allow the layer to cool.  In the case of something like a spire, or the smokestack on a Benchy the Minimum Speed will come into play.

If there is an M220 in your StartUp Gcode it will affect the speed.  M220 S100 will insure that a print always starts at 100% of the speeds dictated by the gcode.  M220 S50 would tell the printer to cut all the speeds of the gcode to 50%.

To the right of the Setting Search box is the Settings Visibility button.  Click on it and set the visibility to "All".  Then go down to the speed section and see if something is set low.

You can also post a project file here ("File | Save Project") and all your settings will be in the file.

Do you use the {speed_travel} replacement pattern in your start gcode? If so, don't. Cura inserts the number that is configured in the interface, which is specified in mm/s. Marlin expects the number to be in mm/min. So the number that gets inserted if you use {speed_travel} in your start gcode snippet is 60 times lower than the number that you would expect.

• 1 year later...

Lately, my Ultimaker S5 is really slow. I did not see the codes you mentioned above. Any other suggestions? Here is my g-code.

Start code

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Start heating bed

M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Start heating extruder

G28 ;home

G90 ;absolute positioning

G1 X-10 Y-10 F3000 ; Move X & Y just off the bed

G1 Z0 F1800 ; Put Z at bed level

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Wait for extruder to reach temp before proceeding

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Wait for bed to reach temp before proceeding

G92 E0 ; Reset extruder

G1 E20 F200

G92 E0 ; Reset extruder

End Code

M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
    M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    G92 E0 ; Reset extruder
    G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure
    G0 Z330 ;move Z axis up to max height
    G28 X0 Y0 ;home the print head

The last move (G1 command) is a fairly slow extrusion (F200). The firmware remembers that speed for subsequent moves, until a new speed is specified). Most start gcodes move the head up a couple of mm after that initial extrusion. So add eg "G1 Z10 F3000" to the end of what you have now for start gcode.

Having said that, an Ultimaker S5 normally doesn't have start and end gcode; this is best handled by the printer itself. It may be best to just clear both gcode snippet fields. That is the default for UM S5 printers.

When I use a printer with no start/end gcode, it goes from 5 hours to 12 hours print time.

3 hours ago, bethmalesich said:

When I use a printer with no start/end gcode, it goes from 5 hours to 12 hours print time.

The print time as shown in Cura? Then something else has changed too. AFAIK, Cura does not take the start gcode into account at all when calculating the print duration.

Hi Hendr1x, I just saw your original post as I was searching for a solution to probably the exact same issue on my machine.  I ruled out machine mechanical issues and slicer settings first.  Then I took out the SD card and swapped it with a backup that I had on-hand.  The next print is printing exactly as it should - no stuttering or slowing to a crawl at some points.  I guess it's another firmware issue - I have run into several of those on this machine and find that firmware is the biggest issue I have in my 6 months into this hobby.  I am learning to recognize when it might be firmware related now, since I have already upgraded nearly the whole machine with new hardware while trying to solve so many other issues.  Hope my experience can help you.

3 hours ago, ReMan said:

Then I took out the SD card and swapped it with a backup that I had on-hand.  The next print is printing exactly as it should - no stuttering or slowing to a crawl at some points.  I guess it's another firmware issue

Worth noting: The memory cards (and USB card readers) that Creality includes with their printers are worthless. All but one have failed within a week for me. The other one failed within two weeks.

Posted (edited) · Printer moving extremely extremely slow - no idea why

Hi Hendr1x, I just saw your original post as I was searching for a solution to probably the exact same issue on my machine.  I ruled out machine mechanical issues and slicer settings first.  Then I took out the SD card and swapped it with a backup that I had on-hand.  The next print is printing exactly as it should - no stuttering or slowing to a crawl at some points.  But then on the next print the same problem occurred again.  This time I noticed that other little problems are happening at the same time.  The temperature does not always register correctly on the screen.  The print head carriage will slam into the limit switch and also on the other end of the x-axis gantry and make a terrible noise when doing so.  The print head crashed into the print bed for no apparent reason while auto leveling.  I believe the main flex/ribbon cable to the print head (Sprite Pro direct drive extruder) was hitting against the frame on the left hand side so much that it either broke some of the wires inside or else caused the connector to come part way off the extruder.   After straightening out the cable and re-securing it, all of those problems disappeared.  Hope my experience can help you.

Edited by ReMan
    • Like 1