ABS print keeps failing

Posted · ABS print keeps failing

I have a Ultimaker 3 extended and I am printing  using ABS. Once I start the print like normal it usually lets out some of the filament off to the corner. But after a few minutes I come back and see that the filament is stuck on the nozzle blocking the printer from printing. Any idea why this is happening? 

Also, this print is kinda of tall. After it starts printing for a few minutes the filament just shreds all over the bed therefore I have to start over.

A photo would help. 

Getting things to stick requires temp, surface prep, squish, rounded corners.

squish

90% of the time if it isn't sticking at all then you probably aren't leveling right.  While it prints the bottom row push up and then down on the bed to see if either improve things.  It may look like the filament is touching the bed but what you describe sounds like the filament is just barely above the bed.  YOu want it will squished into the bed.

temp

For ABS you want the bed at about 110C.  ABS starts to get soft at 99C and you need to be above that temp for the first mm or so of your print.  Otherwise the corners are more likely to warp up off the bed.

surface prep

ABS is tricky - glue stick is probably not enough unless you wet a tissue and spread it around thin.  Look up "abs glue" and make some or use hairspray (google it for 3d printing) or use magigoo (probably best option).  Also make sure to clean off all the oils.  I clean my beds about once every 200 prints or so removing all glue and oils (oils from my fingers) to get a fresh start.

rounded corners

That all helps the first layer but to keep the print on the bed throughout you may also need rounded corners.  If you absolutely can't modify your model to have rounded corners then select the brim option in cura.   Even with rounded corners, brim helps even more to hold down the corners onto the bed.

Oh.  Yeah.  Those came loose.  Do all the things I mentioned.  You can see me doing them in this video which explains in more detail:

If you do it right you will be wondering how you will ever get the parts off the glass.  You will be able to pick up the printer and swing it around by only lifting on the printed part.

I guess you have a good reason to print in ABS.

But maybe you could find other materials that have similar or sufficient characteristics, and that print better, with less warping and better bonding, and better layer-adhesion too? For example if the model would needs a little bit of flexibility and enough heat-resistance to sit in a car in the sun, then PET or similar materials might work? (Although they can not be painted and glued so easily as ABS, so that would be a good reason for choosing ABS.)