3D printing for children

shurik

Posted · 3D printing for children

Hi there,

As my 12-years old son obviously started to show deep and keen interest into father's new toy, there's immediate question of children-friendly, i.e. - simple software to create stuff for the printer.

Can anyone suggest something suitable? We use Windows machines.

Definetly Sketchup! Go for Version 8 (free), not the new 2013 (some weird shareware with different versions, I didn't really get it..)

I've been using it for about half a year now. You need only a few minutes to get the basics. Then, you can watch some adanced tutorials (many of them are integrated into the program) and get better with it.

You'll need to hack in an STL exporter plugin, but that's just drag & drop.

I think I'm using this one: http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl

Very simple...

There are some quirks that you'll need to know in order to make clean models with Sketchup 8. Just always view your models with "X-Ray view" in Cura, and you'll see where the problems are. Sketchup sometimes makes 2 (or more) planes on top of each other, you'll just have to delete one of them. But it's easier to just see for yourself in X-ray, it took me only a few minutes.

You could of course just use the "fix horrible" settings in Cura, but I prefer to have clean models (and I always uncheck all the "fix horrible" settings).

Yes, Sketchup is in front of me. Will check the tinkercad, too. Looks promising nice.

Many thanks!

Off topic: Sander - would you please reply to my PM asking about the expected availability of missing filaments? The support email received no reply, either...

cant wait to see what your little children create ?

there imaginations have no borders... :-)

You might also want to check out doodle3d (http://doodle3d.com)

It extrudes 3d models from simple 2D drawings and is available for both PC and iPad...

Might even be targeted at children below 12 years of age, but still worth a look...

They also have a so called "Doodle3D WiFi-Box" to go with it, which connects your 3D-printer wirelessly to your laptop, computer, tablet or smart-phone, with the Doodle3d software running on the actual box...

Definetly Sketchup! Go for Version 8 (free), not the new 2013 (some weird shareware with different versions, I didn't really get it..)

I've been using it for about half a year now. You need only a few minutes to get the basics. Then, you can watch some adanced tutorials (many of them are integrated into the program) and get better with it.

You'll need to hack in an STL exporter plugin, but that's just drag & drop.

I think I'm using this one: http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl

Very simple...

There are some quirks that you'll need to know in order to make clean models with Sketchup 8. Just always view your models with "X-Ray view" in Cura, and you'll see where the problems are. Sketchup sometimes makes 2 (or more) planes on top of each other, you'll just have to delete one of them. But it's easier to just see for yourself in X-ray, it took me only a few minutes.

You could of course just use the "fix horrible" settings in Cura, but I prefer to have clean models (and I always uncheck all the "fix horrible" settings).

FYI: Sketchup can export DAE which Cura can load. Usually works better then the STL exporters.

Off topic: Sander - would you please reply to my PM asking about the expected availability of missing filaments? The support email received no reply, either...

Could you perhaps send it again? I can't seem to find it..

True true.. i have a lot of PM messages ;)

FYI: Sketchup can export DAE which Cura can load. Usually works better then the STL exporters.

Lol that's nice to know :D

Thanks Daid, will try that right now..

If you have an android tablet the GCodeTouch3D App might be good for your kids.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dietzm.gcodetouch3d

Please note that the App is still in beta test, but it works fine on my printer.

Hi guys,

In order not to open a new topic, will post one more question here.

From time to time, I do some card modelling workshops in schools and even at my work as a part of volunteering activities or just "creativity" sessions.

Then, a thought came to me - there is quite a bit of the interest about the whole idea of 3D printing around, and we all know it.

What would you suggest as an activity or simply lecture, perhaps, on the 3D - for schools and up? There were some posts on the forums that some people here have done that, but unfortunately, I couldn't find these.

Carrying the printer around is not desireable, so any practical workshop is more or less out of the question.

Any ideas?

I think it would be a great idea!

Carrying the printer around shouldn't be a problem. I know it isn't a problem with the UM1. Shouldn't be much different with the UM2...

You may want to put it into a good solid box for transport, but then you should be good to go!

Ummm.... I'm uneasy about carrying the printer around. It will certainly not prolong its life expectancy.

I'd rather show children video of it in work, accompanied by some small things, like bracelets, for example. Any other ideas for a small stuff to distribute are welcome, of course.

The question is, what can we talk or do in these 40 minutes of the workshop we might have, other than just to show off. :)

Open for suggestions.

Hi Shurik

I took my um2 into my sons school and did a couple of presentations to a couple of classes (age 6) they loved it, think the teachers enjoyed it even more though :grin:

I printed a UM robot during the presentation and at the end of it they all got there very own Ultimaker robot to take home, Yes i had to print about 70 robots before i went....

Hi cor3ys,

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Could you share the details of the presentation perhaps - content, objectives, what you spoke about, etc.?

I'm still unconvinced about moving the printer around, though...

Hi Shurik

I do not have any content to share unfortunately as i did it on the fly they were only 6

The kids were learning about 3d shapes at the time, so i had some 3d shapes printed and we talked about them, i also had a table setup with all my prints on from vases, dinosaurs, bracelets etc which were all handed out to look at, then i explained how the um2 worked showing them all the different bits, I had some filament all cut up so they could pass it around the class so they could touch and see it before it went into the machine. I also had Cura setup on the overhead so they could all come up and have a look at the robot that was about to print, they enjoyed spinning it around and looking at it in 3d.

I had also printed some 3d puzzles, like the dove tail puzzle and iroberti Labyrinth Puzzle so when the robot was printing they all had a puzzle on each desk to play with while they came up in small groups to watch it print.

The teacher set them a small worksheet that had a couple of questions on it and they had to draw the robot..

Then my son handed them all out there very own robot...

You really should not be afraid of taking the printer in, that is the main part of talking about 3d printing as most people have never seen one close up let alone seen one working, i have explained to my mates about my printer but they did not fully understand how it works until they see it in action then the wow factor hits them...

Hope that helps in some way....

cor3ys - you've helped so much! Many thanks!