Ultimaker S5 bed levelling probe pattern

Posted · Ultimaker S5 bed levelling probe pattern

hi guys. I use kapton on my UM5 glass bed, its the finish we need (as the bottom surface is the face) and the adhesion is perfect. However the hot end damages the surface while it is doing the initial bed leveling probe. I turned off the levelling but my manual levelling isnt up to it, i want to keep the auto levelling. The question i am asking though, does anyone, even Ultimaker themselves, have the bed probe pattern drawn out perhaps as a DWG or similar? i attempted to draw it out myself based on the impact marks on the kapton and its close but i would be interested in an EXACT version if that is indeed a thing. See below gabs to demonstrate what i mean, i can position models of a certain size around the impact points and then type in the positional values into cura to move the model to that same position from center. this saves the model surface and means zero post-production to sand out the marks.

grid1.thumb.JPG.41408e7aea4678a2a37fb4bf71e04740.JPG

grid3.thumb.JPG.f76743a28a935e74a4ca58b3b552f97e.JPG

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 bed levelling probe pattern

You can find this into in /usr/share/griffin/griffin/machines/9051.json

"bed_level_probing": {
                "use_footprint_probing": true, // Whether or not to just probe the footprint of the object
                "probe_selection_method": "mode",// Choose 'frequency' or 'mode' (default)
                "spacing": 40,  // [mm] probing grid spacing. Value based on axis circumference.
                "margins": {"left":8, "right":15, "front":10, "rear":30},
                "dimension": {"width":340, "height":247},

Edited by tomnagel
    deleted unneccessry lines
    • Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 bed levelling probe pattern

cheers Tom, thats great. It kinda gives some clues but its pretty difficult to get that accurate as i assume its taking into account the position of the nozzle in relation to the carriage etc. Even so, thanks a lot for it.
    Id worked out myself that 40mm square is was the way to go and through trial and error ive got it pretty much bang on in terms of margins.

Obviously this is pretty useless to most, but it means i can position my models around the impact marks in the kapton made from the red hot nozzle probe. Be nice if the probe was done with a cold nozzle really, as it cools as it goes. For example as the probe goes right to left impact marks get less and less until none at all, so Ultimaker saying the nozzle needs to be hot to get an accurate result doesn't really ring true.

I know people say its not designed for the use of kapton, but it means i can get an absolutely mirror finish on my model face so no post-production required, no brim at all to remove, zero warping and no cleanup.

Edited by Super_paulie