More precise bed leveling UM"

hacklordsniper

Posted · More precise bed leveling UM"

.1mm. When you level the UM2, Cura assumes you are .1mm above the glass.

However, when you start a print, with experience, you can tell right away if you are too close or too far on the first layer.

if you are too close it will print wider than .4mm. It will print thinner than you requested (so thin you can see through it or barely see it). Also it is likely to build up too much pressure and the extruder will slip backwards. If you print too far you get skinnier than .4mm and you can see the gaps between lines on the first layer. It prints the brim first so you can see this immediately before it even gets to the actual part.

The UM2 bed seems to be very consistent from day to day (unlike UM Original which droops from day to day and changes with humidity). So I can level it once and ignore leveling for weeks.

Be careful not to scratch your nozzle. It's brass (or maybe copper?) which is a soft material. Maybe you can make a feller gauge out of lead or something softer than copper/brass?

I wonder why Ultimaker didn't add something more sophisticated than the "level with paper" assistent. If this cheap 3D printer can do it properly (watch the video(s)), how come that a printer nearly 7 times pricier can't? (link)

A little handheld pressure transducer of a known thickness with a light that blinks when it's being squeezed. Think about slipping one of these under the head; https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8713. Heck, it doesn't have to be handheld; it could just plug directly into the main board, assuming enough pins, with a long wire and could sit attached to the side of the printer. You know I have one sitting around, it's 0.19 mm thick, each sensor could be calibrated to each printer.... anyway; yeah I really can't wait for my printer.

I wonder why Ultimaker didn't add something more sophisticated than the "level with paper" assistent. If this cheap 3D printer can do it properly (watch the video(s)), how come that a printer nearly 7 times pricier can't? (link)

You can do this for the UM1 yourself Nico. Latest Marlin from Erik Zalm has the code and I think there's at least 2 plans on Thingiverse for mounting a servo to the head.

See http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:225584

and

I don't have an UM1 any more. Just wondered why Ultimaker didn't consider to add it to the UM2.

I thought the leveling on the UM2 was pretty good.

Probably good enough to not warrant hanging a servo on the head.

Thank you, i now know the leveling distance. I don't think its easy to damage the nozzle with feller gauge (at least in a careful way). One made from lead would not work, but making one from plastic material would be possible.