Editing normally hidden settings

FTsabrovAS

Posted · Editing normally hidden settings

Hello,

I have an S5 Pro, which prints great, except for the deprime procedure on some 3rd party materials. It commonly grinds up the filament when trying to retract it, and forcing me to cut off a hefty length of plastic. I suspect that it is the break temperature setting, which is hidden by cura, even on non-marketplace or UM profiles. I can certainly try to copy a profile from a higher temperature generic profile, but I'd much rather just edit some files. I see that I can edit custom profiles in the quality_changes folder- would I be able to add a line to call out a higher break_temperature? Anywhere that I can see the original value?

Thanks.

15 hours ago, FTsabrovAS said:

Hello,

I have an S5 Pro, which prints great, except for the deprime procedure on some 3rd party materials. It commonly grinds up the filament when trying to retract it, and forcing me to cut off a hefty length of plastic. I suspect that it is the break temperature setting, which is hidden by cura, even on non-marketplace or UM profiles. I can certainly try to copy a profile from a higher temperature generic profile, but I'd much rather just edit some files. I see that I can edit custom profiles in the quality_changes folder- would I be able to add a line to call out a higher break_temperature? Anywhere that I can see the original value?

Thanks.

You can only edit these in the material files themselves. It's not hard to do if you have some experience with XML.

Also note that you will need to update the version number in the profile if you do this, otherwise the machine won't override it. You should also take care when doing this, since if the 3rd party material updates their settings, you will need to manually update them again (since their version nr will be lower as yours due to your changes)

That's the plan so far. I'll be working with unlinked copies of the marketplace profiles. 

Is there a list anywhere that provides the names of the settings?

P.S., this would be a great plugin!

Have you tried the Material Settings plugin from the Marketplace?

Once installed, go to Extensions -> Material Settings -> Configure Material Settings. There you can select which settings will be available in the "Print Settings" tab on the Materials preferences pane. It looks like "Break temperature" is listed, though I have not tested if the value you enter ends up in the correct place in the XML file so it is accepted by the Material Station.