Printing with 5.0b

Posted · Printing with 5.0b

This is what I've been printing the last couple of days.  5.0 did a bang up job.

The question is what is this system for?  I'm looking for scientific answers and not just WAG's.  The one who gets it right will be awarded a lovely virtual prize cast in beautiful imitation faux virtual gold and virtually embellished in genuine faux imitation rhinestones.

Please Note:  Any facetious, snide, snarky, or sarcastic comments will be discounted unless they are really funny.

Clue #1.  There is an IR slotted optical switch inside each of the square boxes.

DSCN2849.JPG

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Printing with 5.0b

Clue #2

There is a buzzer, 9volt battery, 50ma power transistor, resistor, SPST switch, and a stereo jack mounted in the large tan box.

Edited by GregValiant

I'm a beach fisherman.  Typically I'll have three rods spaced about 25 feet apart.  I'd be yacking with a person passing by, or fooling with one rod and I'd get a strike on another, or sometimes I'd just flat out fall asleep.  The un-noticed fish might pull off a couple hundred yards of line before I would notice.

So what I have here is a strike indicator system.  The buzzer box goes next to my sitting spot and the separate boxes go on the 1 1/2" PVC pipe that the rods are in.  The fishing line is held by the pieces of wire on each box.  When there is a strike the wire falls off the fishing line dropping the brass rod past the IR sensing switch which in turn passes a signal to the buzzer box energizing the power transistor and making enough noise to alert me to the situation.

Next is bluetooth so I can get rid of the wire.  I know there are commercial systems but where's the fun in that?

Posted (edited) · Printing with 5.0b
    3 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

I'm a beach fisherman.  Typically I'll have three rods spaced about 25 feet apart.  I'd be yacking with a person passing by, or fooling with one rod and I'd get a strike on another, or sometimes I'd just flat out fall asleep.  The un-noticed fish might pull off a couple hundred yards of line before I would notice.

So what I have here is a strike indicator system.  The buzzer box goes next to my sitting spot and the separate boxes go on the 1 1/2" PVC pipe that the rods are in.  The fishing line is held by the pieces of wire on each box.  When there is a strike the wire falls off the fishing line dropping the brass rod past the IR sensing switch which in turn passes a signal to the buzzer box energizing the power transistor and making enough noise to alert me to the situation.

Next is bluetooth so I can get rid of the wire.  I know there are commercial systems but where's the fun in that?

I was just about to say all that......DAMN!! 🤣

Does that mean I have won......?

Edited by Carbon

Before I scrolled down and saw the answer, I was thinking about an antenne, or something.

You may have a very different fishing gear setup from the ones I sometimes see on the canals here? They have a spool that can be locked, so it doesn't unwind by itself. After being thrown into the water, the wire is always under tension, because there is quite a bit of metal weight hanging on it. They are fishing for fish that are living at the bottom of the water in the mud ("platvissen" in NL, literally "flat fish", but I don't know the English names). So I don't see how that would work here, and I wonder what gear you have?

Locking the spool is not a good idea here.  Some of the fish are big.  Tarpon and sharks run up to over 200lbs/90kilos/14stone.  Rods that aren't secured often end up in the Gulf of Mexico.

With the bait out and the line tight to the weight I pull a little more line to hold it with the wire.  The pulls a brass shade up between the IR emitter and the sensor.  When (if) a fish pulls the line then the wire releases, the brass piece falls, and the sensor sends 9volts to a buzzer.  At this point I'm supposed to wake up and answer the fish.  It works well and today went off constantly so I quit using it.  Today was my best day fishing in a long time.

Yes, for 90 kg fish, I can imagine that locking the line is not the best option...   🙂

But here the fish are only 1 or 2kg, so they don't pull anything - or anyone - into the water. The only problem is that these fish may sometimes dig themself deep into the sand, or below stones or debris, which makes it harder to pull them out.

Not a fisherman myself, it is just from seeing others.

Geert they are not locking the wire, there is a tension relieve in the mill when the tension in the line gets to high it gives extra line to the fish. Next to that what a great print GregValiant.