7.0.3 firmware failed main board

mkolze

Posted · 7.0.3 firmware failed main board

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but I have entered to try and sort through an issue we encountered on our S5 bundle this week.  This previous Monday I noticed the printer had an update available for it.  So I used the GUI and accepted the download and install.  It said it successfully downloaded and installed that build 7.0.3.  then it rebooted and came up with the chewing on it symbol for about two hours.  So attempted a hard reboot.  Then the printer asked if the last job had been cleared from the platter.  And I selected yes.  It refreshed the screen and I attempted to run a new job from the network connection.  The printer immediately complained about an Error33 code, X and Y axis or limit switch fail and it gave the code for troubleshooting.  I went through the processes recommended and even contacted support.  That was pretty painful to say the least.  After confirming the y axis would move when the motor driver was swapped with the #1 extruder the tech finally said the main board needs replacing.  To this I said what?  A $10K printer goes bad after a firmware build update and it's now needing a $500 main board?  That seems way out of line.  The machine has 53 days and 4 hours hot on core 1, the only one we really use, and it's only run 751.3 meters of material through it.  There has to be another way to resolve this besides forking out half a grand for another mother board.  

Thoughts?

• mkolze changed the title to 7.0.3 firmware failed main board

Since you appear to be in USA, contact fbrc8.com.  Is that who you are dealing with?  Or are you dealing with your reseller?  If you are working with your reseller then try emailing support@fbrc8.com.  Include the above story and also your serial number.  I'm not certain but likely they will give you a free replacement since your printer should still be under warranty on it I think?  I'm a little confused.  Maybe you printed only 53 days but you have had it for over a year?

Keep in mind that there's no way to show hours and meters on the machine - just each core.  So you have to slide in each core and add them all up.  Of course if you truly only used the same core in every job then that's not necessary.

Hello and thank you,
    I was working with Ultimaker support direct.  The reseller Matterhackers has remained rather unavailable for some reason.  The system is in fact more than a year old and is about 2 years total since installation.  We've only used the second print core for some support material and very infrequently.  I mainly pointed out the hours as the machine has not seen serious usage in my opinion.  Not like my Prusa which printed over 850 headbands two summers ago when we were in the height of the pandemic.  That machine was on non-stop 24 hours a day.  I just am concerned that such an expensive part of the S5, the main board, which literally is not working very hard at all and is certainly not considered an expendable or wear item normally, would fail for no apparent reason.  

I will attempt to contact fbrc8.  Thank you,

Matt

So the description you posted sounds pretty convincing to me that the stepper driver for your Y stepper driver died.  And it sounds like you are well past the warranty.

If you are happy with your other printer you could just sell the S5 with the explanation that the Y axis stepper driver is dead.  But this is a very nice printer (I have one) and can do things the Prusa won't do so easily such as print Nylon (one of my favorite materials).

Servo drivers definitely fail - they get VERY hot and get a lot of abuse.  However it's still pretty rare as the S5 was designed with all the proper temperature considerations for these chips.  I have an S5 and I have about 10 friends with S5 printers and none of us have lost a servo driver.  I'm pretty sure.

If you are very good with SMD (surface mount devices) soldering and have the right soldering station equipment (hot air soldering station, solder paste and so on) then you can just change that chip.

Unfortunately this skill set is rare.  I am an expert solderer but will not touch SMD.  But you might have a friend with the right setup.  I mean what's the harm?  It's useless as it is right now.