Updating Cura on Linux Ubuntu

Jax3DTrains

Posted · Updating Cura on Linux Ubuntu

Can't seem to update Cura to 5.0

I have uninstalled the present software (4.13.1) and tried installing using snap, which is the way I installed the present software, but it keeps reinstalling 4.13.1 instead of 5.0

Could someone instruct me on what I am doing wrong?

I also tried installing without using the snap command in Terminal, but it keeps reinstalling 4.13.1

Appreciate the help.

I haven't tried 5.0 yet but for older versions I downloaded the "appImage".  Then I had to go and change it to execute mode (I use chmod but I'm sure there are many ways) and then you can run it from command line e.g. "./cura.appImage" or you should probably just be able to double click the file.

We don't maintain or support the snap package (We also don't even control it in any way). If you want the 5.0 version, you need to use the appimage.

5 hours ago, nallath said:

We don't maintain or support the snap package (We also don't even control it in any way). If you want the 5.0 version, you need to use the appimage.

Could you direct me into how that is done? I sure would appreciate the help with what the command lines in terminal I need to use to install it correctly.

Thank you.

I'm getting an error message that says that it failed to probe OpenGL.

But terminal tells me I have version 4.0

Now what?

Did you get Cura 5.0.0?  (making sure you aren't using Cura 5.0 beta).

Please post the log file.  On ubuntu the log file should be something like here:

$USER/.local/share/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log 

Where $USER is the same as ~ or your "home" folder.

.local is a hidden folder so you have to just type in the path in terminal window or in the top of the gui that shows your folders and files (ctrl+L).  So if you are in the gui thing that shows your files type ctrl+l and enter ~/.local/share/cura and then hit the enter key.

Or do it through terminal with "cd" command.

I'm not that well versed in Ubuntu. Where do I place $USER/.local/share/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log ?

I plugged the above into terminal using my name in the user space, but it came back saying " bash: Cura: No such file or directory

I seem to be having the same problem. There is no cura.log file in .local/share/cura/5.0

glxinfo seems to indicate the drivers are present as far as I can see (which isn't very far)

(me@me-pc):~$ glxinfo | grep -i opengl
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.2 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.0.1
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.20
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 22.0.1
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 22.0.1
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Yep, seems like 5.0 isn't playing well with Linux. I hope there is a simple solution.

I have never had any issues with Cura, until now. I have always been able to load, or reload the program, and updates have always been a snap to accomplish. So why is there such a change on 5.0? I don't need to be jumping through a bunch of hoops just to have the new thing. Going back to 4.13.1 until things get up to speed.

Doesn't work for me either.  When I launch from terminal I get:

[15247] Error loading Python lib '/tmp/.mount_UltimaqFOpta/libpython3.10.so.1.0': dlopen: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_UltimaqFOpta/libpython3.10.so.1.0)

28 minutes ago, Jax3DTrains said:

So why is there such a change on 5.0?

They went with a newer version of QT and that gives you newer versions of other libraries as well.  I believe this was long overdue.

I did a little reading and I suspect his error will go away if I upgrade from Ubuntu 18 to Ubuntu 20.  What version of Ubuntu do you guys have?

41 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I did a little reading and I suspect his error will go away if I upgrade from Ubuntu 18 to Ubuntu 20.  What version of Ubuntu do you guys have?

22.04 Ubuntu, and 4.1 OpenGL

I keep getting an error message that says it can't probe OpenGL and to check my video drivers. Everything is up to date on all of those items. So I don't know why I keep getting the error message.

I get that same error (rarely) with cura 4.12 and I just reboot and it goes away.

53 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I get that same error (rarely) with cura 4.12 and I just reboot and it goes away.

I have never gotten the error, until I tried to use 5.0. I guess that's why I find it so strange that all of a sudden a very reliable program can't even run on my system. That's not a upgrade in my book.

So is there an answer here for what is going on with 5.0 on Linux ubuntu?

Posted (edited) · Updating Cura on Linux Ubuntu
    On 5/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, gr5 said:

I have Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, and I downloaded the 5.00 appimage to try, as it supposedly has quicker print times than 4.x.

I just downloaded it, did a chmod to make it executable, and it ran fine and appeared to pick up the parameters that I use for 4.12.  The 'usual suspect' test prints (cube, etc.) sliced fine, but I had issues (another thread) using it to slice a large model with a width of EXACTLY 330mm.  If I scaled it down a fraction of a percent to 329.4mm it would slice.

It's a 2+ day print, so I hoped to save some time with 5.00, but with that issue I figured that I should do it using a known version, so I sliced it with 4.12 and it is now printing (and will be for some time).

(And as an aside, I might presume from your user name that you use 3d printing for model railroading.  That's the main reason I took up 3d printing a few years back.)

Edited by jsw
    • Like 1

I'm having the same issue on a fully up to date Arch linux system. OpenGL is there and up to date along with graphics drivers. I believe that OpenGL was updated recently. I have other apps which use it and aren't having problems however. At the moment I'm a tad stuck as Cura 5 won't start at all and 4.13 hangs/dies when trying to load any plugin. for the moment I'm using a different slicer but my printer doesn't like the gcode it produces so really want to get Cura going again. 

Posted (edited) · Updating Cura on Linux Ubuntu

I have the same problem.  I'm running Ubuntu 22 on an AMD 5700g. 

OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 22.0.1

I was able to install Cura on a similar system with an Nvidia card, so I don't think it's a problem specific to Ubuntu 22.

Edited by lord_nimon