Pulling out my Hair!!

rickdrawl

Posted (edited) · Pulling out my Hair!!

I have been trying and trying to use my 3D printer like it is ment too. But CURA 5.0 will not let me...

Let me explain. my printer is Ender 3 S1 with a build plate of 235x235

But for some reason CURA 5.0 thinks that I'm only allowed to use 207x207 of that

You know grayed out area on the edge for the Clips, DO NOT need to be there for

Most new printer that  have magnetive Bed plates that don't need clips 

So why does CURA 5.0 Not just add a SIMPLE!!!! Disable Bed Plate Size Restrictions

options to the MASS amounts of Setting options that are available

Edited by rickdrawl

• rickdrawl changed the title to Pulling out my Hair!!

Hello @rickdrawl,

When Creality created the definition files for their printers they (as the manufacturer) decided that the Ender 3 needed those areas reserved.  Those reserved areas are hard coded in the Ender 3 definition file and they are not settings or adjustable in Cura.

Now, if you were a printer manufacturer and had put time and money into creating your definitions...would you be happy if a different manufacturer went in and changed things?  I don't think so.  You however can go in using any text editor and delete those areas so they don't show up.  You are an end user and not a competitor.

The Ender 3 Pro definition is nearly identical to the Ender 3 definition.  The Start and End gcode are the same, same printable area, etc.  The only difference I know of between the definitions is that the E3Pro (that's what I have) does not have the reserved areas for the bed clips.  So you can install an Ender 3 Pro in Cura, change the name to whatever you want, and there ya go.

About the best you can do for "printable area" on the E3Pro is 230 x 230.  The bevel on the edge of the glass is not printable and you need about 1.5mm all around as a safety cuz your getting close to the edge.  So 230 x 230 provided you get the Home Offset location right.  That location should be about 2.5mm in from the left edge and 2.5mm in from the front edge of the build surface.

Creality has made a hash of a few things (extruder arms with a life expectancy of 7 minutes, TFT screens that don't support their own firmware, etc.) and this is just one more example.

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Pulling out my Hair!!

This still does not solve the issue...

i can not be the only one with this issue

i buy a 3D printer with a 235x235 bed and can not use the all

of the bed. That i only can use 207x207

I do not believe this is this Creality intended purpose to miss lead me in thinking

im getting a 235x235 and only letting me use 207x207

when it is CURA that is the one preventing me from using the extra area

with there Clip protection area. (When i don't use clips) i have a magnetive Bed plates that don't need clips

Also CURA has ability to adjust ANY setting in any of the 3D printers that they support. But just not this one?? unlikely.

23 hours ago, GregValiant said:

23 hours ago, GregValiant said:

My guess is that you have some parameter set which precludes the use of the entire build plate.

'Travel avoid distance' is one likely suspect.

Be sure that you have brim/skirt turned off and that you avoid all auto-generated supports when you need to do prints that use the entire build plate.

• Like 1

Let me start with the fact that I have nothing to do with Cura or Ultimaker.  I'm a retired fireman from Detroit who has done some work with gcode and has dabbled in serial communication and scribbled some software as a hobby.

"I can not be the only one with this issue" 

You aren't.  All Creality Ender 3 users have the same issue.

"I buy a 3D printer with a 235x235 bed and can not use the all of the bed. That i only can use 207x207" 

The disallowed areas should only be on the top and bottom and affect the Y.  You should have 235 in the X.  The Cura definition puts the "Printable Area" at 220 x 220.  The disallowed areas are a separate deal.  Why they added them to the 3 and not the 3 Pro only Creality knows.  So with a 220 x 220 printable area on a 235 x 235 build plate we see that Creality has built in a 7.5mm safety border all the way around.  You can cut that down with no problems.

"I do not believe this is this Creality intended purpose to miss lead me in thinking im getting a 235x235 and only letting me use 207x207" 

Now you're making me laugh.  Creality says many misleading things.  I've had my Ender 3 Pro for 2 1/2 years and I've gone round and round with "warranty" people at Creality a couple of times.  I ordered a silent mainboard and when it arrived the E stepper driver didn't work.  It took 3 months for them to finally acknowledge that it was their problem and to send a new one.  The four fans?  Junk.  Nothing to do but replace them with decent ones.  The plastic extruder arms ALL break.  They have been known to be delivered broken.  I bought the cheapest printer out there and I knew it would be crappy.  It came around though and works very well...now.  I totally understand why it was priced so low.

"Also CURA has ability to adjust ANY setting in any of the 3D printers that they support. But just not this one?? unlikely."

I tried to explain...it is not a "Cura setting".  It is a "Creality definition".

This is from the Creality base definition file that all of their printers use:

{
        "name": "Creawsome Base Printer",
        "version": 2,
        "inherits": "fdmprinter",
        "metadata": {
            "visible": false,
            "author": "trouch.com",
            "manufacturer": "Creality3D",

Why would Ultimaker care how Creality handles their printer definitions?  Why would they care how TronXY or Artillery or BiBo or anyone else handles their printer definitions.  It's not like Ultimaker can or would go out and buy one of every printer in the world and make sure they work right with Cura.

Printer definition files are text files.  You can open them in Notepad and make adjustments.  That means anyone can make changes to their definition file.  It's what I did and you can too.  As I've said a couple of times - the disallowed areas are part of the "definition" and not a "setting".

You will get more support for your printer over on the Reddit Ender 3 Group.  I think what you will find is that when this comes up people just use the Ender 3 Pro definition because it doesn't have the disallowed areas and is otherwise identical to the regular Ender 3 definition. 

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 2

Out of curiosity, have you tried using something like PrusaSlicer or Slic3r?

If so, does it give you a larger working build area/volume?