Hubbed Bolt - Filament Engraving Depth

almi

Posted · Hubbed Bolt - Filament Engraving Depth

Hi all,

I just wanted to inspire an experience exchange about how deep resp. how strong the hubbed bolt engraves into the filament while extruding.

You can define the "depth" by the little adjustment screw.

It shouldn't be too less engraving (otherwise I found too less extrusion) and probably shouldn't be too strong on the other hand

(The stepper motor would need too much force, and the diameter of the filament changes which could lead into other issues?).

Also I have found out that the engraving doesn't look similar all the time because the hubbing of the screw bolt is very uneven. Could this lead into other issues?

This is how my filament looks like:

Ultimaker_Original__Assembly_Instructions.pdf

Looking forward to some comments.

Cheers,

Andreas

hi Andrea!

when you get your ultimaker, is there a default position for these feeder wheels or is it just... go by feeling and tighten ?

Best wishes.

Ian :D

• 1 month later...

That looks similar to mine. Does this vary with speed settings? If you want to go to a printing speed 100mm per sec should we have deeper marks, or should it work as it is?

that's the same as mine now. I found no marks, or intermittent marks means under-extrusion. if you tighten the thumbwheel too far it will actually fracture bits of PLA and you'll see chunks missing as it moves up the bowden tube.

I've never personally found the 'oval deformation' problem that some have reported but would imagine it's deeper marks than those shown.

the pattern needs to be nice and regular like you show, it looks a bit like a shoelace, for want of a better comparison.

nik

Hello,

I also have indentations on the filament:

They look like this:

Filament_stucked_annotated2.jpg

I use a filament "pusher" derived from the Geo Hagen's one.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15897

Ultimaker_Extruder_Mod_Bloc_Main_Assemblage_22_sml.jpg

It uses a knurled wheel from Fabberworld that works fine.

Ultimaker_Extruder_Mod_Parts_Galet_Driver_sml.jpg

I never observed an ovalized filament, even by thightening it a lot.

++

Gael