Windows Security

3Dexperimenter

Posted · Windows Security

Hello,

When I install Cura 5.0 on a Windows 10 machine where the user account does not have administrator privileges (Standard/Local account rather than an Administrator account) Cura isn't listed in Start/Programs.  During the install process Windows asks for the administrator credentials and installs Cura 5.0; however, one the install is complete Cura 5.0 isn't shown in Start/Programs.  If I log out of the account and log into the administrator account Cura 5.0 is shown in Start/Programs.

Note that Cura 4.x follows the Windows security model and installs properly. 

FYI:  For security/malware reasons I don't assign Administrator rights to user accounts in Windows, and it's protected me from a LOT of malware 🙂

Are there any plans to add the standard Windows security functionality to Cura 5.x? 

Thanks!

We had to switch out a number of systems in order go get things to work for windows 10 again, and this is one of the things that went wrong because of that.

We already identified what went wrong and are working on a solution! I expect it to be fixed in 5.1

Posted (edited) · Windows Security

We think this might be a 'not putting it in the right folder' issue rather than a 'real' security issue.

If it is indeed the same problem, one of our IT people found a workaround:

Fix:
    Create folder %PROGRAMDATA%\Start Menu\Programs\Ultimaker Cura
    Create icons in %PROGRAMDATA%\Start Menu\Programs\Ultimaker Cura

This folder is the folder that is not logon-user based. But a system based.

The problem with the current Cura 5.0 setup is that the icons are actually saved in the %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder. So it is only visible for the account that is used for the installation. And in the case of an MDM install that is never the logged-on end-user. The install user does not even have a local profile so the icons are not stored at all.

This is indeed one of the things the IT team also reported on the Cura 5.0 installer.

EDIT: Just want to add; the error is indeed on our side, and we hope to fix it in 5.1

Edited by rburema
    making sure they know the error is not on their side
    • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Has this been fixed? I am a teacher, not the IT admin. Our IT admin has been working on this as well and has yet to be able to figure it out. I am not sure if the issue I am having is related.

I am installing CURA 5.1 as an administrator.

The icons appear in the start menu and such but do not respond to clicking. If you follow the shortcut to its location from the start menu you get the warning "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

We had no issues with version 4.4

Thanks!

I suspect this not a Cura problem a Group Policy (GPO) or a setting in Ivanti Res One Workspace Control prevents you from running these shortcuts. Perhaps consult your domain admin. 

In the registry you might fix it with this setting. But it might be overruled if that is enforced on your machine via the device management tooling.

Start regedit and go for key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
    In the Explorer key (folder) in the left pane is there a sub-key named 'DisallowRun'? That might be the reason this issue is there. 

• Like 2