Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

z seam calibration cura 5.1

ndsugi

Posted · z seam calibration cura 5.1

I am getting a model I made in zbrush close to printing, but I am unsure of a few things.  One issue I have had so far is that using zbrush's mesh integrity scanner and 3d hub plugin I have been able to get the model manifold (meticulously checked over) and correctly designed for printing, but cura will 1 out of 2 times warn me that there are errors in the mesh.  I assume if I've done my due diligence and checked the final work for issues, this should be safe to ignore.  

I also have been noticing the z seams look suspect on the more detailed parts.  This model has two sides as it's a detailed mask but the rear inner side of the mask is less important to me than the outside.  I assumed setting the z seam to user specified - back, would solve my issue but it appears their is still high concentration of seams on areas that will be difficult to clean.  I will share both the stl-screen shot and cura screen shot to elaborate.  If anyone notices something that I don't or has a suggestion for printing something of this nature please let me know.  I am aware their are some fine, thinner parts that seem to protrude or hang but I have made everything manifold even if it appear hidden.

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (17).png1066305442_Screenshot(20).thumb.png.f3ba9b820061ba079c4355562a14b104.png

Within the Travel section is "Layer Start X" and "Layer Start Y".  You can move them near the Z seam.  That may have an effect on Combing and consequently the Z seam scar.

In the Walls section is "Z Seam Relative".  I don't know how much effect that will have on a single model but it can make a difference sometimes on where the Z seam shows up when islands are being printed.

The model is a nice piece of work.  I hope it prints well for you.

Regarding any errors in the model...MS 3D Builder has a repair utility that runs automatically when you Open and then Import Model (which moves it to the workspace).  I have found it to be pretty good.  There are also on-line utilities as well as things like NetFabb which is included with Fusion360.  You have so much work into it you should check it to make sure it's not only watertight but that there are no duplicate or degenerated faces.

I am regretfully feeling closer to accepting a loss on this model and moving on, this was one of my first attempts in zbrush to create something as I was learning, so it may be my own fault that I cannot diagnose the issues.  It's strange as I have tried zbrush's built in diagnostic tools and auto fixing abilities, ms 3d's auto fix, and meshmixer (mesh mixer causing more problems than it's solving), and still haven't been able to get cura to give it a pass.  Maybe I need to head over to the zbrush forums to see what else I can do to salvage this.

In regards to errors in models:  There are serious errors like "not watertight" that can confuse a slicer and keep it from slicing, and there are lessor errors that allow a model to slice but cause it to slice incorrectly.  Those are the kind that are difficult to figure out when a model is highly complex.  The third kind are errors that don't matter.  The model slices correctly in spite of them.

You don't have the first type of error but the second type requires a close eye on the preview to insure that the model will print as it should.  If it does look as it should then the error is of the third type which just don't matter.

@kmanstudios and @cloakfiend do a lot more "fine" work than I do.  Maybe they would have a suggestion on how to print something like this successfully, and what pitfalls to watch out for.

Thanks so much for your input!  So I noticed that sometimes the slice with fail, prompting a "report glitch" popup, and it can happen repeatedly if the model is positioned in certain ways on the build plate.  The way it is positioned in the screenshot obviously didn't give me any issues and ran the slicer.  So as you mentioned in the case of the third type which doesn't matter as much, if the slicer is working, does that mean I shouldn't be so concerned?  

If a successful slice is dependent on the orientation of the model on the build plate then I wouldn't worry about it.

You still need to take a close look because if nothing else you might come across places where you might want the supports different, or you notice that some branches of tree supports are growing in mid-air, things like that.  You can make adjustments for those things in Cura, but you need to know what is going on in order to do so.

• Like 1