Adaption of IRobertI famouse cable chain to UM1

Posted · Adaption of IRobertI famouse cable chain to UM1

Hi all!!

IRobertI modelled a great cable chain fitting to the UM2. Thank you, great work!!

Unfortunately I have an UM original so after a short discussion, I got the permission from him and started modifying this great work to fit to the UM1.

The chain is re-scaled to 75% to fit into the available space and is monuted a different way. Ther eshould be enough space for the heated bed power cables and the termistor cables.

The bottom end part is mounted via double sided tape or 2 screwsto the back pannel, the chain is going vertially up and down to the bed (instead of horizontal as in the UM2 solution) where it is mounted via one of the screws holding the left arm/bearing sandwich together.

The result can be found here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:247573

Up to now I printed all parts and assambled the chain itself, but unfortunately there was no time to mount it and make some pictures. They will hopefully follow within the next days...

Additional remark: the bed end is prepared for mounting a cable clamp (if necessary), but this part is not designed yet as I´d like to try it first without...

Have fun :-)

Here we go - not completely mounted as the heating pad is still missing, but it works...

Foto

Needed 9 sections parts between bottom and bed end to fulfill the task (maybe I´ll add one more later on) :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, thanks drayson for adapting IRobertI's cable chain for the UM1! I implemented it with my new heated bed using 10 chain segments:

Cable Chain UM Original

However I had to modify the bed end part (yellow). With the original design, the radius for the chain segments was too small. Thus, I added 10mm on the bed end part and also moved the screw bore by these 10mm in order to get a larger radius for the chain segments. It works nice this way...

Hi!

Great adaption!

I have not mounted my heater pad yet so I had no chance to check the bendig behavior of my original cables - just tested it with some other cables and there it worked.

Would be great if you could also publish this modified part. :-)

Hi!

Great adaption!

I have not mounted my heater pad yet so I had no chance to check the bendig behavior of my original cables - just tested it with some other cables and there it worked.

Would be great if you could also publish this modified part. :smile:

Oh, sure... the stl is here. Please feel free to include it in your published set on Thingiverse if you like it. I think there is not much sense in opening a new set on Thingiverse for such a minor modification.

Thank you, I will add it of course with reference to you.