Ultimaker 2+ connect via PROXY

Sablons

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ connect via PROXY

Hi, 

I'm a french teacher and i've bought a Ultimaker 2+ Connect.

In our school, we use a Proxy (Gateway) to go to the Internet.

I want to add the printer in the school network but i can't configure the proxy in the options.

I see that other printers (the S5 by exemple) can be configured with a config file that can be placed on USB Stick. But it don't work with 2+.

Is there any solution ?

Thanks,

Johan

Hey Johan,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🚀

I noticed that this support page has some information, but I'm not sure it can help you. 
    https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012113719-Ultimaker-Platform-network-requirements

If it's an option I always reccommend arranging an ethernet cable.

Network connectivity is not my expertise 😥
    So I'll ask around. 💪

1 hour ago, MariMakes said:

Hey Johan,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🚀

I noticed that this support page has some information, but I'm not sure it can help you. 
    https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012113719-Ultimaker-Platform-network-requirements

If it's an option I always reccommend arranging an ethernet cable.

Network connectivity is not my expertise 😥
    So I'll ask around. 💪

Hi,

Unfortunately no, there are no responses for the proxy...

Thanks 

• 8 months later...

Hello. I'm just a 3D printer user, but in the automotive environment, our IT department has problems getting the Proxy communication support up and running in the 3D printer. We use the 2nd method from the instructions on this page.

https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-set-system-proxy-on-debian-linux/ but this tutorial does not work.

Does anyone have a verified procedure for activating Proxy support please?

There are probably over 100 different proxy server protocol types so it can be very difficult to support more than the top 5 or so.

The above tutorial that you linked to won't be very helpful as the S5 doesn't have a graphical interface to the networking features.  So in your case "connman" is your friend.  connman is open source software that should be able to configure almost any proxy network protocol.  It is very well documented.  It is a commonly included utility in many linux distributions.

So you need to get access to the linux shell where you can control connman and then you can google about how to use connman.  To get to the linux shell you want to first put the S5 into dev mode.  I believe the only thing that does is let you connect into the printer.   I have dev mode on since I got the printer.  You do this on the front panel of the S5 printer.  I'm not sure exactly where but it's not hard to find.  Maybe configuration?

Then it will show the ip address on the printer.  You want to ssh into the printer from another computer on the same LAN.  Use root/ultimaker as the username/password.  Once you get the shell prompt you can start inquiring of connman what the current network settings are and go from there.

gr5's steps would probably work as its a linux environment on the machine.

However officially UltiMaker does not support proxy servers on any of its 3D Printers, Digital Factory will likely have issues and im not actually sure Cura will like it either?

Please refer here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337958118

Sure.

My proxy is currently set up via IP addresses like this. But the printer won't connect to our 3D Proxy server.

The goal is to access the 3D printer from an externat network via internet. It is the only alternative to opening ports in the firewall that the IT department cannot do.

Instruction in point 2:  https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-set-system-proxy-on-debian-linux/

putty_proxy-IP.JPG

>Sure.

What are you referring to?

So did the above work?

Does your proxy server require authentication?  If there is no authentication then that simplifies things drastically.  You didn't enter any kind of username/password or anything above so I assume there is no proxy user/password system in your situation.

So I read through your screenshot above.

Firstly you don't need "sudo" because you are already logging in as "root" which is the admin account for linux.  sudo means "switch user do" aka "super user do" and is for non root accounts.  It doesn't hurt - you just don't need that.

Did the "reboot" command cause the printer to reboot?  If not you might have to use a different command such as "shutdown -r now".  "reboot" works on most linux versions but shutdown tends to work on more.

So you created a profile.d file.  Some versions of linux use that and many don't.

If what you did doesn't work I'd try connman.  Google how to use connman.  connman is the preferred method for changing network settings (including proxy settings) in this flavor of linux (I think it's debian version 10 aka "buster").  You might even want to include "buster" or "debian" in your googling.  Don't include "ultimaker" as that will restrict your results to almost nothing.

>What are you referring to?

I'm in a dev mode but the instructions from my link don't work.

answers:

1. "reboot" command works perfectly.
    2. "profile.d" probably too, because I already have a manual IP successfully set up the same way
    3. "Does your proxy server require authentication?" - I have to find out. Good point.

To better describe my situation. So our IT only solves problems from the wall connection towards them. The 3D printer is not under their control and they leave it up to the user. I only have information that the device does not contact the company Proxy.

That is why in the forum we solve the hard skill of knowledge and soft skills with corporate IT 🤫

So every computer in your lan should be running through the proxy server.  I would think.  So for example if at work you have a PC you can go into it and look at the proxy settings.  See if there is a password or other authentication (often not).  See what the actual address and port is for the proxy server.  See if there is a proxy setup file.  If so open it up as it's easy to read with a text editor.

I still recommend you use connman.  That's what Ultimaker experts recommended.  It may sort-of work with profile.d but I think it will work better with connman (the proxy part).  You could look up the flavor of linux you have by doing a google search to find out.  You might have "buster" version of debian?  Firmware 5.8 switched to Buster but maybe there is now newer version of debian.  Buster is also known as debian version 10.  Then if it's buster you could google "how to setup a proxy server on debian buster" and see if they recommend profile.d versus connman.  I predict they will recommend connman as the only reliable solution for the particular flavor of linux found on your printer.

I should mention that although the subject of this topic and the original poster mentioned UM2+C, I have been talking exclusively about the S3/S5/S7.  The recent poster has an S5, not a "2+C".  The "2+C" probably will not respond well to connman.  The S3/S5/S7 have a capable connman that should be able to handle proxy servers.