Weak extruder of UM2

coffeecup

Posted · Weak extruder of UM2

I am helping a friend to troubleshoot his UM2. It seems that the problem is caused by the weak extruder. I own a UM1 and the extruder of UM1 is much stronger.

One example: when a new print job is started, very often we need to push the filament into the extruder in order to let the plastic come out from the nozzle. This never happens in UM1.

We tried tighten the spring of the extruder, disassembled the extruder and cleaned the internals. It still does not work. I wonder anything I can do or adjust to make the extruder a bit stronger. Thanks.

This problem is discussed in many threads, and it seems that pieces of ABS from feeder clog the nozzle. This is a widespread problem which has not been resolved at this moment. However the spring from feeder needs to be fully released for best performance

Yes....I think it's possible that you have a problem with your nozzle.

I have a new (replacement) nozzle on my machine and it has made a huge difference.

Before I got the new nozzle I had a similar problem as your friend's machine, but I recommend that you talk with tech support at Ultimaker first.

In the mean time, can we set the material to ABS (raise the nozzle temp to 260C) and use the move material command to push lot of material through the nozzle to clean the path? Thanks.