Material Sync not working

kwakefield

Posted · Material Sync not working

@Masterdark thanks again for sharing your workflow. Considering you do it that way tells me that this is typically a bug that can be fixed rather simple in the firmware. Something to report to Ultimaker I guess? 

Question remains; for anyone out there who can answer this:

How to delete all materials , including hidden ones, from the firmware?

Or: How can I renew all GUID's of all materials, considering this will fix it to....

@dennismosterd

Since several people have the problem and there are several posts about it, I think that the problem is known and will hopefully be fixed soon.

Since the GUID should be unique, but this is not the case when exporting from Cura, an adjustment in Cura and the printer firmware will probably be necessary.

Another note for the API.

Before material can be deleted or added via API, a user must be registered.

To do this, use the command POST/auth/request via the API.

Make any entries in the application and user fields.

After the request has been confirmed with the <Try it out> button, the request must be confirmed on the printer display.

The API then returns an object with the properties <id> and <key>, see screenshot.

To delete or add material, the <id> must be used as the user and the <key> as the password.

gui04.jpg

Thanks again @Masterdark for taking the effort to reply and help out! I have reset the printer to factory settings but unfortunately (in most cases this is wanted off course 😉 ) the materials aren't removed. 

So now I will try to guess what material it could be and will try to delete those. I'm also going to make a support request for this at Ultimaker. I will post here what comes out.....

@dennismosterd,

thanks for the information about the factory reset and deleting the filament.

Another important info about the added filament.

As described in the previous posts, customized filament can be added to the printer via API.

If you now select the customized filament in Cura and in the printer, and send a print job from Cura to the printer, the printer displays a conflict.

You can ignore this conflict on the printer and start the print job. The print job also runs correctly.

The reason for the conflict displayed on the printer, is the customized and therefore different material GUID in Cura and in the printer.

To solve this, I have done the following. 

I changed the file extension to ....xml.fdm_material for the material file that was customized (GUID) and renamed to ....xml as described above. This extension corresponds to a material file exported from Cura.

I then deleted the corresponding material in Cura. Before deleting, make sure that the material in question is not selected for a print head in Cura.

After deleting, import the material file with the changed extension into Cura.

The previously deleted material reappears in Cura and now has the same GUID as in the printer.

If Cura now sends a print to the printer, there is no longer a conflict message and printing starts immediately.

My material sync is not working either.  I have tried via wi-fi and the USB method.  The wi-fi method thru Cura 5.4.0 just spins and spins with nothing actually happening.  This is an S5 connected to the wi-fi and Digital factory.

The USB method just says "no material profiles found" on the S5 display.

S5 is firmware 8.3.

Any news on a fix to this other than the workaround above?

Posted (edited) · Material Sync not working

I have a brand new S7 that is having this issue. When i hit sync, it just spins infinitely. Tried the USB method but Ultimaker does not recognize the material profile. No news on the fix? 

Running Cura 5.6.0 

Edited by Celia7
    Additional information

On 12/12/2023 at 9:34 PM, dennismosterd said:

Thanks again @Masterdark for taking the effort to reply and help out! I have reset the printer to factory settings but unfortunately (in most cases this is wanted off course 😉 ) the materials aren't removed. 

So now I will try to guess what material it could be and will try to delete those. I'm also going to make a support request for this at Ultimaker. I will post here what comes out.....

So the (a bit postponed) reaction to this, is that materials are only removed from the printer if all materials are unloaded from the material station. Then after a factory reset all materials are removed. 

To debate further on this: I did manage to find a conflicting GUID in Cura vs. printer material. My guess is (I didn't deliberately test this) that when you change some settings to the material properties in Cura (my guess is: the name or the material type) it will keep the same GUID, but the 'old' unchanged material with the same GUID is still in the printer. So when you try synchronizing the materials it conflicts and apparently this conflict is not resolved in the synching process, so it spins forever actually doing nothing....

So conclusion:

It's a synching issue (duh) meaning it's both parties involved (Cura and Printer). @MariMakes for this one to pick up by the team? Hinting at a solution would be to always change GUID in Cura if user changes material name, material type or some other fundamental. Then when synching comparing the materials from Cura with the ones in the printer and if 95% of the properties of a material are the same (but having different GUID's) it could ask if user wants to replace this material with the (a) new one...

In the meantime for users either try the workflow mentioned above. Or factory reset the machine and resync materials (annoying yes, hell yes)