UM3e keeps ending prints too soon

Domodel

Posted · UM3e keeps ending prints too soon

So this is a weird one that I'm not too sure on how to approach next...

The printer has been working flawlessly for a while now, and a few day ago it printed a nice litophane cylinder, so I gave it another, I went away, when I got back, I saw it was missing it's top layers. I assumed the filament got stuck, so I cleaned everything up, made sure it's flowing nicely, and set it to print again.

On the second attempt I was present, and the printer clearly showed 1+ hours of print time left, and then it just finished, at the exact same layer, cooled off and switched to "remove print message".

I assumed it was a slicing error, so I re-sliced everything again in cura, checked in the preview, everything looked alright, I saved it, copied it to a new USB stick, and let it print again. Same thing, 1+ hours left, printer decides it's finished at the exact same layer and ends it.

This is quite a bit issues since those are 13 hour long prints, so it's a lot of wasted time, and it worries me that I have no idea where the issue is. Any ideas?

Do I need to upload the gcode? It's quite large at 80+ MB.

IMG_20221019_131808.jpg

To add an update to this, for my forth attempt I sent the gcode over wifi, and it printed with no issues.

So would that imply the USB part is the issue? I prefer to use USB since wifi is sometimes unreliable, and it's easier to stack several gcodes for subsequent prints...

Is there a way for me to test the USB without wasting 12+ hours on prints?

The nice thing about printing over wifi is that it copies the entire gcode file to the "hard drive" on the um3.  Before it starts printing.  So if there are read errors, presumably you find out about them during that copy step.  I would hope.

Did you open the "bad" gcode files and go to the end of the file?  There should be comments at the end - that's a clue that there isn't anything missing.

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

Did you open the "bad" gcode files and go to the end of the file?  There should be comments at the end - that's a clue that there isn't anything missing.

I didn't, I don't know enough about gcodes to know if something looks wrong.

This is the end of it, and again, no idea if that tells you anything or if you need to see more.

M204 S500
    M205 X5 Y5
    G1 F1800 X133.502 Y68.165 E1217.40078
    M204 S5000
    M205 X30 Y30
    G0 F15000 X133.136 Y68.79
    M204 S500
    M205 X5 Y5
    G1 F1800 X131.832 Y67.485 E1217.41596
    M204 S5000
    M205 X30 Y30
    G0 F15000 X131.468 Y68.111
    M204 S500
    M205 X5 Y5
    G1 F1800 X130.28 Y66.924 E1217.42979
    M204 S5000
    M205 X30 Y30
    G0 F15000 X129.93 Y67.563
    M204 S500
    M205 X5 Y5
    G1 F1800 X128.827 Y66.46 E1217.44262
    ;TIME_ELAPSED:50389.216996
    G1 F1500 E1210.94262
    M140 S0
    M204 S3000
    M205 X20 Y20
    M107
    G91 ;Relative movement
    G0 F15000 X8.0 Z0.5 E-4.5 ;Wiping+material retraction
    G0 F10000 Z1.5 E4.5 ;Compensation for the retraction
    G90 ;Disable relative movement
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
    M104 S0
    M104 T1 S0
    ;End of Gcode
    ;SETTING_3 {"global_quality": "[general]\\nversion = 4\\nname = Normal #2\\ndefi
    ;SETTING_3 nition = ultimaker3_extended\\n\\n[metadata]\\nquality_type = fast\\n
    ;SETTING_3 type = quality_changes\\n\\n[values]\\nadhesion_type = raft\\n\\n", "
    ;SETTING_3 extruder_quality": ["[general]\\nversion = 4\\nname = Normal #2\\ndef
    ;SETTING_3 inition = ultimaker3_extended\\n\\n[metadata]\\nquality_type = fast\\
    ;SETTING_3 nposition = 0\\ntype = quality_changes\\n\\n[values]\\ninfill_pattern
    ;SETTING_3  = trihexagon\\nraft_margin = 5\\nwall_line_count = 6\\n\\n", "[gener
    ;SETTING_3 al]\\nversion = 4\\nname = Normal #2\\ndefinition = ultimaker3\\n\\n[
    ;SETTING_3 metadata]\\nquality_type = fast\\nposition = 1\\ntype = quality_chang
    ;SETTING_3 es\\n\\n[values]\\n\\n"]}

Those lines with the semicolon at the bottom - that shows us that you aren't missing anything.  Those are comments that are ignored by the printer (and tell you what settings you overrode).

I'm not coming up with any good theories.  Go here:

support.ultimaker.com  and click "submit a request" in the top right corner. 

Maybe they've seen this before and know exactly what it is.  Is that what you already did?

9 hours ago, gr5 said:

I'm not coming up with any good theories.  Go here:

support.ultimaker.com  and click "submit a request" in the top right corner. 

Maybe they've seen this before and know exactly what it is.  Is that what you already did?

No, I didn't submit requests at ultimaker support, but I'll do that now.

Thank you.